On the Contraction and Nonexpansiveness Properties of the Marginal Mappings in Generalized Variational Inequalities Involving Co-Coercive Operators
We investigate the contraction and nonexpansiveness properties of the marginal mappings for gap functions in generalized variational inequalities dealing with strongly monotone and co-coercive operators in a real Hilbert space. We show that one can choose regularization operators such that the solution of a strongly monotone variational inequality can be obtained as the fixed point of a certain contractive mapping. Moreover a solution of a co-coercive variational inequality can be computed by finding a fixed point of a certain nonexpansive mapping. The results give a further analysis for some methods based on the auxiliary problem principle. They also lead to new algorithms for solving generalized variational inequalities involving co-coercive operators. By the Banach contraction mapping principle the convergence rate can be easily established.
KeywordsGeneralized variational inequality co-coercivity contractive and nonexpansive mapping Banach iterative method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anh, P.N. and Muu, L.D. (2002), The Banach Iterative Procedure for Solving Monotone Variational Inequality. Hanoi Institute of Mathematics, Preprint No. 05.Google Scholar
- Aubin, J.P. and Ekeland, I. (1984), Applied Nonlinear Analysis, Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Auslender, A. (1976), Optimisation: Méthodes Numériques, Masson, Paris.Google Scholar
- Clarke, F.H. (1983), Optimization and Nonsmooth Analysis, Wiley, New-Yowk.Google Scholar
- Goebel, K. and Kirk, W.A. (1990), Topics in Metric Fixed Point Theory, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Golshtein E.G. and Tretyakov N.V. (1996), Modified Lagrangians and Monotone Maps in Optimization, Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Kinderlehrer, D. and Stampacchia, G. (1980), An Introduction to Variational Inequalities and Their Applications, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Konnov, I. (2001), Combined Relaxation Methods for Variational Inequalities, Springer, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Muu, L.D. and Khang, D.B. (1983), Asymptotic Regularity and the Strongly Convergence of the Proximal Point Algorithm, Acta Mathematica Vietnamica, Vol. 8, pp. 3–11.Google Scholar
- Patriksson M, (1999), Nonlinear Programming and Variational Inequality Problems, Kluwer, Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- Rockafellar, R.T. (1979), Convex Analysis, Princeton Press, New Jersey.Google Scholar