Epidural Blood and Fibrin Patches
Both epidural blood patch and fibrin glue patch injections may be useful in the treatment of CSF leaks. The fibrin glue patch has a more rapid and greater adhesive effect than the autologous blood patch. It is also readily available and may be useful when injection of autologous blood is contraindicated. However, autologous blood is inexpensive and raises no risk of allergic reaction or viral infection hazard from a donor. The epidural blood patch has been well documented to be effective in patients with PDPS and SIH. The fibrin patch has been demonstrated to be particularly effective in the event of postsurgical dural tears and may obviate the need for a second surgery in a patient with a postoperative dural leak. The fibrin patch may also be effective in symptomatic patients who are unrelieved by EBP.
KeywordsFibrin Glue Autologous Blood Epidural Injection Intracranial Hypotension Dural Puncture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Lodick DW, Bosch EP, Lyons MK. Orthostatic headache syndrome with CSF leak secondary to bony pathology of the cervical spine. Neurology 2000;54(suppl 3):A129.Google Scholar
- 5.Dunbar SA, Katz NP. Failure of delayed epidural blood patching to correct persistent cranial nerve palsies. Anesth Analog 1994;79:806–807.Google Scholar
- 9.Dillon WP, Rabin BM, Roychowdhury S, Meyer JR, Cohen BA, LaPat KD, Russell EJ. Spontaneous intracranial hypotension: spinal MR findings. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 1998;19:1034–1039.Google Scholar
- 11.Clarot F, Callonnec F, Douvrin F, et al. Giant cervical epidural veins after lumbar puncture in a case of intracranial hypotension. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2000; 2l:787–789.Google Scholar
- 19.Ramsay M, Roberts. Epidural injection does cause an increase in CSF pressure. Anesth Analg 1991:73:668a.Google Scholar
- 21.White AH, Derby R, Wynne G. Epidural injections for the diagnosisb and treatment of low back pain. Spine 1980;5:67–86.Google Scholar
- 26.Fishman RA, Dillon WP. Letter to the editor. Neurosurgery 1997;86:165.Google Scholar