On the Origin of Newly Made Neural Cells in the Adult Organism: Does Transdifferentiation Occur?
KeywordsTraumatic Brain Injury Glial Fibrillary Acidic Protein Neural Stem Cell Enhance Green Fluorescent Protein Bone Marrow Stromal Cell
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Araki M, Takano T, Uemonsa T, Nakane Y, Tsudzuki M, Kaneko T (2002) Epithelia-mesenchyme interaction plays an essential role in transdifferentiation of retinal pigment epithelium of silver mutant quail: localization of FGF and related molecules and aberrant migration pattern of neural crest cells during eye rudiment formation. Dev Biol 244:358–371.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bizzozero G (1894) An address on the growth and regeneration of the organism. Br Med J 38:728–732.Google Scholar
- Brownstein MJ, Mezey Ù (2003) Children of the Rib: How Potent Are Adult Stem Cells? PreClinica 2:50–52.Google Scholar
- Cajal S, May R (1959) Degeneration and regeneration of the nervous system. In, p 750. New York: Hafner.Google Scholar
- Calof AL, Mumm JS, Rim PC, Shou J (1998) The neuronal stem cell of the olfactory epithelium. JNeurobiol 36:190–205.Google Scholar
- Corti S, Locatelli F, Strazzer S, Salani S, Del Bo R, Soligo D, Bossolasco P, Bresolin N, Scarlato G, Comi GP (2002b) Modulated generation of neuronal cells from bone marrow by expansion and mobilization of circulating stem cells with in vivo cytokine treatment. Experimental Neurology 177:443–452.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Eglitis MA, Mezey E (1997) Hematopoietic cells differentiate into both microglia and macroglia in the brains of adult mice. Proc Natl Acad Sri U S A 94:4080–4085.Google Scholar
- Guidotti JE, Bregerie O, Robert A, Debey P, Brechot C, Desdouets C (2003) Liver cell polyploidization: A pivotal role for binuclear hepatocytes. J Biol Chem.Google Scholar
- Kohyama J, Abe H, Shimazaki T, Koizumi A, Nakashima K, Gojo S, Taga T, Okano H, Hata J, Umezawa A (2001) Brain from bone: Efficient “meta-differentiation” of marrow stroma-derived mature osteoblasts to neurons with Noggin or a demethylating agent. Differentiation 68:235–244.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lackie JM, Dow JAT (1999) The dictionary of cell and molecular biology, Third edition Edition. London: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Lechner A, Leech CA, Abraham EJ, Nolan AL, Habener JF (2002) Nestin-positive progenitor cells derived from adult human pancreatic islets of Langerhans contain side population (SP) cells defined by expression of the ABCG2 (BCRP1) ATP-binding cassette transporter. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 293:670–674.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Priller J, Flugel A, Wehner T, Boentert M, Haas CA, Prinz M, Fernandez-Klett F, Prass K, Bechmann I, de Boer BA, Frotscher M, Kreutzberg GW, Persons DA, Dirnagl U (2001 b) Targeting gene-modified hematopoietic cells to the central nervous system: Use of green fluorescent protein uncovers microglial engraftment. Nature Medicine 7:1356–1361.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rosada C, Justesen J, Melsvik D, Ebbesen P, Kassem M (2002) The Human Umbilical Cord Blood: A Potential Source for Osteoblast Progenitor Cells. Calcif Tissue Int 4:4.Google Scholar
- Smart I (1961) The subependymal layer of the mouse brain and its cell production as shown by autoradiography after thymidine-3H injection. J Comp Neurol 116:325–348.Google Scholar
- Spees JL, Olson SD, Ylostalo J, Lynch PJ, Smith J, Perry A, Peister A, Wang MY, Prockop DJ (2003) Differentiation, cell fusion, and nuclear fusion during ex vivo repair of epithelium by human adult stem cells from bone marrow stroma. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA.Google Scholar
- Tran S, Pillemer SR, Dutra A, Barrett J, Brownstein MJ, Key S, Pak E, Leakan RA, Yamada KM, Baum BJ, Mezey E (2003) Human bone marrow-derived cells differentiate into buccal epithelial cells in vivo without fusion. Lancet.Google Scholar
- Weimann JM, Charlton CA, Brazelton TR, Hackman RC, Blau HM (2003) Contribution of transplanted bone marrow cells to Purkinje neurons in human adult brains. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A.Google Scholar
- Zulewski H, Abraham EJ, Gerlach MJ, Daniel PB, Moritz W, Muller B, Vallejo M, Thomas MK, Habener JF (2001) Multipotential Nestin-Positive Stem Cells Isolated From Adult Pancreatic Islets Differentiate Ex Vivo Into Pancreatic Endocrine, Exocrine, and Hepatic Phenotypes. Diabetes 50:521–533.PubMedGoogle Scholar
© Kluwer Academic Publishers 2003