A great deal of progress has been made in the identification and use of markers in the study of neural progenitor and stem cells. The use of individual proteins or genes as highly specific markers, however, must always be made with a great deal of caution-no one antigen or gene is always likely to be only expressed by one specific cell type. Additionally, recent studies depicting the complexity and heterogeneity of neural stem cells will call for newer and better markers as well as new ways of thinking about cell identity.
KeywordsStem Cell Neural Stem Cell Enhance Green Fluorescent Protein Subventricular Zone Radial Glia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- des Portes V, Pinard JM, Billuart P, Vinet MC, Koulakoff A, Carrie A, Gelot A, Dupuis E, Motte J, Berwald-Netter Y, Catala M, Kahn A, Beldjord C, Chelly J (1998) A novel CNS gene required for neuronal migration and involved in X-linked subcortical laminar heterotopia and lissencephaly syndrome. Cell 92:51–61.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Imura T, Kornblum H, Sofroniew MV (2003) The Predominant Neural Stem Cell Isolated from Postnatal and Adult, but not Early Embryonic, Forebrain Expresses GFAP. J Neurol Sci In Press.Google Scholar
- Katsetos CD, Del Valle L, Geddes IF, Assimakopoulou M, Legido A, Boyd JC, Balin B, Parikh NA, Maraziotis T, de Chadarevian JP, Varakis JN, Matsas R, Spano A, Frankfurter A, Herman MM, Khalili K (2001) Aberrant localization of the neuronal class III beta-tubulin in astrocytomas. Arch Pathol Lab Med 125:613–624.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mokry J, Nemecek S (1998) Immunohistochemical detection of intermediate filament nestin. Acta Medica (Hradec Kralove) 41:73–80.Google Scholar
- Seidl R, Cairns N, Lubec G (2001) The brain in Down syndrome. J Neural Transm Supp:247–261.Google Scholar
- Zappone MV, Galli R, Catena R, Meani N, De Biasi S, Mattei E, Tiveron C, Vescovi AL, Lovell-Badge R, Ottolenghi S, Nicolis SK (2000) Sox2 regulatory sequences direct expression of a (beta)-geo transgene to telencephalic neural stem cells and precursors of the mouse embryo, revealing regionalization of gene expression in CNS stem cells. Development 127:2367–2382.PubMedGoogle Scholar