The Birth of Limit Cycles in Nonlinear Oligopolies with Continuously Distributed Information Lags
The dynamic behavior of the output in nonlinear oligopolies is examined when the equilibrium is locally unstable. Continuously distributed time lags are assumed in obtaining information about rivals’ output as well as in obtaining or implementing information about the firms’ own output. The Hopf bifurcation theorem is used to find conditions under which limit cycle motion is born. In addition to the classical Cournot model, labor managed and rent seeking oligopolies are also investigated.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arnold, V.I. (1978). Ordinary Differential Equations. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.Google Scholar
- Carr, J. (1981). Applications of Center Manifold Theory. Springer-Verlag, New York.Google Scholar
- Cox, J.C. and M. Walker. (1998). Learning to Play Cournot Duopoly Strategies. J. of Economic Behavior and Organization, Vol. 36, pp. 141–161.Google Scholar
- Cushing, J.M. (1977). Integro-differential Equations and Delay Models in Population Dynamics. Springer-Verlag, Berlin/Heidelberg/New York.Google Scholar
- Guckenheimer, J. and P. Holmes. (1983). Nonlinear Oscillations, Dynamical Systems and Bifurcations of Vector Fields. Springer-Verlag, New York.Google Scholar
- Jackson, E.A. (1989). Perspectives of Nonlinear Dynamics. Vols. 1 & 2. Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Kubicek, M. and M. Marek. (1986). Computational Methods in Bifurcation Theory and Dissipative Structures. Springer-Verlag, Berlin/Heidelberg/New York.Google Scholar
- Miller, R.K. (1972). Asymptotic Stability and Peturbations for Linear Volterra Integrodifferential Systems. In Delay and Functional Differential Equations and Their Applications, edited by K. Schmitt. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Okuguchi, K. (1976). Expectations and Stability in Oligopoly Models. Springer-Verlag, Berlin/Heidelberg/New York.Google Scholar
- Okuguchi, K. and F. Szidarovszky. (1999). The Theory of Oligopoly with Multiproduct Firms. (2nd Edition) Springer-Verlag, Berlin/Heidelberg/New York.Google Scholar
- Russel, A.M., J. Rickard and T.D. Howroyd. (1986). The Effects of Delays on the Stability and Rate of Convergence to Equilibrium of Oligopolies. Econ. Record, Vol. 62, pp. 194–198.Google Scholar
- Szidarovszky, F. and S. Yakowitz. (1978). Principles and Procedures of Numerical Analysis. Plenum Press, New York/London.Google Scholar
- Volterra, V. (1931). Lecons sû la Théorie Mathématique de la Lutte pour la Vie. Gauthiers-Villars, Paris.Google Scholar