- 138 Downloads
The plan for the future of mobile communications is to merge previously separate systems for voice and data transmission (cellular mobile radio, cordless telephones, and paging systems) into a universal mobile communication system (UMTS) with an extended range of services for voice and data, variable bit rates, and compact mobile terminals. The development of this third generation mobile radio system focuses on spectrum-efficient radio access technology. In Europe investigation and development in this field is supported by the Commission of the European Union, currently within the ACTS program, previously within the RACE program. Thus the RACE project ATDMA investigated the potential of advanced TDMA systems with respect to the goals of UMTS. Propagation measurements, channel modelling and techniques studies were performed, a real-time and simulated testbed were built to prove feasibility and efficiency of this approach.
This contribution gives an overview about the project’s content and its mainresults.
Key wordsUMTS third generation wireless systems RACE TDMA
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cygan, D.; David, F,; Eul H.-J.; Hofmann, J.; Metzner, N.; Mohr, W.; Nottensteiner, H.: RACE-II Advanced TDMA Mobile Access Project-An Approach for UMTS. International Zurich Seminar on Digital Communications,Zurich, Switzerland, 08–11 March 1994, Proceedings, p. 428–439Google Scholar
- Mourot, Ch.; Streeton, M.; Urie, A.: An Advanced TDMA Mobile Access System for UMTS. IEEE Personal Communications Magazine, Vol. 2 No. 1, February 1995Google Scholar
- Grillo, D.; Metzner, N.; Murray E.D.: Testbeds for Assessing the Performance of a TDMA-Based Radio Access Design for UMTS. IEEE Personal Communications Magazine, Vol. 2 No. 2, April 1995Google Scholar
- DeVile, J.: A Reservation Multiple Access Scheme for an Adaptive TDMA Air-Interface. 4th WINLAB Workshop on 3rd Generation Wireless Information Networks, New Jersey, USA, October 1993, Proceedings, p. 217–225Google Scholar
- David, K.; Blanc, P.; Irvine, J.; Kassing, T.; López-Carrillo, M.I.; Maddalena, R.; Mohr, W.; Ranta, P.: First Results of ATDMA’s Test Campaign. RACE Mobile Telecommunication Summit, Cascais, Portugal, 22–24 November 1995, p. 468–472Google Scholar