A logical approach to multidimensional databases
In this paper we present MD, a logical model for OLAP systems, and show how it can be used in the design of multidimensional databases. Unlike other models for multidimensional databases, MD is independent of any specific implementation (relational or proprietary multidimensional) and as such it provides a clear separation between practical and conceptual aspects. In this framework, we present a design methodology, to obtain an MD scheme from an operational database. We then show how an MD database can be implemented, describing translations into relational tables and into multidimensional arrays.
KeywordsFact Node Operational Database Dimensional Graph Multidimensional Array Star Scheme
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Agrawal, A. Gupta, and S. Sarawagi. Modeling multidimensional databases. In 13th Int. Conf. on Data Engineering, pages 232–243, 1997.Google Scholar
- 2.C. Batini, S. Ceri, and S. Navathe. Conceptual Database Design. Benjamin/Cummings, 1992.Google Scholar
- 3.L. Cabibbo and R. Torlone. Querying multidimensional databases. In 6th Int. Workshop on Database Programming Languages (DBPL'97), 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.E.F. Codd, S.B. Codd, and C.T. Salley. Providing OLAP (On Line Analytical Processing) to user-analysts: an IT mandate. Arbor Software White Paper, http://www.arborsoft.com.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Golfarelli, D. Maio, and S. Rizzi. Conceptual design of data warehouses from E/R schemes. In 31st Hawaii Intl. Conf. on System Sciences, 1998.Google Scholar
- 7.M. Gyssens and L.V.S. Lakshmanan. A foundation for multi-dimensional databases. In 33rd Int. Conf. on Very Large Data Bases, pages 106–115, 1997.Google Scholar
- 8.W.H. Inmon. Building the Data Warehouse. John Wiley & Sons, 2nd ed., 1996.Google Scholar
- 9.R. Kimball. The Data Warehouse Toolkit. John Wiley & Sons, 1996.Google Scholar
- 10.A. O. Mendelzon. Data warehousing and OLAP: a research-oriented bibliography. http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~mendel/dwbib.html.Google Scholar
- 11.N. Pendse and R. Creeth. The OLAP Report, http://www.olapreport.com.Google Scholar
- 12.A. Shoshani. OLAP and statistical databases: 6imilarities and differences. In 16th ACM SIGACT SIGMOD SIGART Symp. on Principles of Database Systems, pages 185–196, 1997.Google Scholar