Geoprove: Geometric probes for virtual environments
We present a software architecture that can be used to instrument interactive virtual environments with virtual probes to obtain quantitative information from geometric presentations. This architecture provides tools by which measurements can be obtained from multiple levels of data presentations, ranging from graphically displayed geometry to the underlying raw data sets.
KeywordsVirtual Environment Software Architecture Simulated Structure Stony Coral Immersive Virtual Environment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Academic Computing Services Amsterdam (SARA), Amsterdam, the Netherlands. SARA—CAVE Homepage, 1998. http://www.sara.nl/hec/vr/cave/.Google Scholar
- 3.Rachael Brady, John Pixton, George Baxter, Patrick Moran, Clinton S. Potter, Bridget Carragher, and Andrew Belmont. Crumbs: a virtual environment tracking tool for biological imaging. In Murray Loew and Nahum Gurshon, editors, Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Frontiers in Biomedical Visualization, pages 18–25, Los Alamitos, CA, October 30 1995. IEEE Computer Society Press. //mayflower.ncsa.uiuc.edu/crumbs/crumbs.html.Google Scholar
- 4.Steve Bryson and Sandy Johan. Time management, simultaneity and time-critical computation in interactive unsteady visualization environments. In Proceedings of Visualization '96, page 255. IEEE Computer Science Press, Los Alamitos, CA, 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.C. Cruz-Neira, D.J. Sandin, and T.A. DeFanti. Surround-screen projection-based virtual reality: The design and implementation of the CAVE. In SIGGRAPH '93 Computer Graphics Conference, pages 135–142. ACM SIGGRAPH, August 1993.Google Scholar
- 0.J.A. Kaandorp. Morphological analysis of growth forms of branching marine sessile organisms along environmental gradients. Mar. Biol., (in press).Google Scholar
- 11.B.B. Mandelbrot. The fractal geometry of nature. Freeman, San Francisco, 1983.Google Scholar
- 12.The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd., Oxford, UK. Iris Explorer User's Guide, 1998. http://www.nag.co.uk/visual/IE/iecbb/DOC/UG/CONTENTS.html.Google Scholar
- 13.B. Rinkevich and Y. Loya. Coral isomone: a proposed chemical signal controlling interclonal growth patterns in a branching coral. Bull. Mar. Sci., 36:319–324, 1985.Google Scholar
- 14.Will Schroeder, Ken Martin, and Bill Lorensen. The Visualization Toolkit, an object-oriented approach to 3D graphics (2nd edition). Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 1997. ISBN 0-13-954694-4.Google Scholar
- 17.Virtual Reality Consulting (VRCO) Inc., Chicago, IL. CAVE User's Guide, 1998. http://www.vrco.com/CAVE_USER/index.html.Google Scholar
- 18.Haim J. Wolfson and Isidore Rigoutsos. Geometric hashing: An overview. IEEE Computational Science and Engineering, pages 10–21, October–December 1997.Google Scholar