Structural biology metaphors applied to the design of a distributed object system
In this paper we present the basic ideas of a distributed object middleware for network computing. We argue that when building complex systems out of components one can emulate the lock and key mechanisms used by proteins to recognize each other.
KeywordsFinite State Machine Message Passing Network Computing Network Object Completion Code
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Branden and J. Toose. “Introduction to Protein Structure” Garland Publishing 1991.Google Scholar
- 2.F. Rosenblatt, “The perceptron: A perceiving and recognizing automaton”, 85-460-1, Project PARA Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory, Ithaca, NY, 1957.Google Scholar
- 4.J. L. McClelland and D. E. Rumelhart, “Parallel Distributed Processing: Explorations in the Microstructures of Cognition, Volume 2: Psychological and Biological Models”, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass. 1986Google Scholar
- 5.J. R. Koza, “Genetic Programming: On the Programming of Computers by Means of Natural Selection”, MIT Press 1992.Google Scholar
- 6.L. Bölöni. “Bond Objects—A White Paper.” Department of Computer Sciences, Purdue University CSD-TR #98-002.Google Scholar
- 7.L. Bölöni, Ruibing Hao, K. K. Jun, and D. C. Marinescu. “Subprotocols: an object-oriented solution for semantic understanding of messages in a distributed object system”, September 1998, (submitted).Google Scholar
- 8.K. Mani Chandy. “Caltech Inforspheres Project Overview: Information Infrastructures for Task Forces.”Google Scholar
- 9.M.C. Cornea Hasegan, Z. Zhang, R.E. Lynch, D. C. Marinescu, A. Hadfield, J.K. Muckelbauer, S. Munshi, L. Tong and M.G. Rossmann. “Phase Refinement and Extension by Means of Non-crystallographic Symmetry Averaging using Parallel Computers.” Acta Cryst D51, pp 749–759, 1995Google Scholar
- 11.T. Finin, et al. “Specification of the KQML Agent-Communication Language” DARPA Knowledge Sharing Initiative draft, June 1993.Google Scholar
- 12.R. E. Lynch, D. C. Marinescu, H. Lin, and T. S. Baker. “Parallel Algorithms for 3D Reconstruction of Asymmetric Objects from Electron Micrographs” September 1998, (submitted).Google Scholar
- 14.I. Martin and D.C. Marinescu “Concurrent Computations and Data Visualization for Structure Determination of Spherical Viruses” IEEE Computational Science and Engineering, 1998 (in press).Google Scholar