A parallel hybrid evolutionary metaheuristic for the period vehicle routing problem
This paper presents a Parallel Hybrid Evolutionary Metaheuristic for the Period Vehicle Routing Problem (PVRP). The PRVP generalizes the classical Vehicle Routing Problem by extending the planning period from a single day to M days. The algorithm proposed is based on concepts used in Parallel Genetic Algorithms and Local Search Heuristics. The algorithm employs the island model in which the migration frequency must not be very high. The results of computational experiments carried out on problems taken from the literature indicate that the proposed approach outperforms existing heuristics in most cases.
KeywordsPlanning Period Vehicle Route Problem Hybrid Genetic Algorithm Feasible Alternative Island Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Back, T., Fogel, D.B., Michalewicz, Z.: Handbook of Evolutionary Computation, University Oxford Press, NY, (1996).Google Scholar
- 4.Cordeau, J.F., Gendreau, M., Laporte, G.: A Tabu Search Heuristic for Periodic and Multi-Depot Vehicle Routing Problems. Technical Report 95-75, Center for Research on Transportation, Montréal (1995).Google Scholar
- 5.Dueck, G.: New Optimization Heuristics: The Great Deluge Algorithm and the Record-to-Record Travel, Scientific Center Technical Report, IBM Germany, Heidelberg Scientific Center (1990).Google Scholar
- 7.Golden, B.L., Chao, I.M., Wasil, E.: An Improved Heuristic for the Period Vehicle Routing Problem. Networks (1995), 25–44.Google Scholar
- 8.Ochi, L.S., Figueiredo, R.M.V., Drummond, L.M.A.: Design and Implementation of a Parallel Genetic Algorithm for the Travelling Purchaser Problem, ACM symposium on Applied Computing (1997) 257–263.Google Scholar
- 9.Ochi, L.S., Vianna, D.S., Drummond, L.M.A.: A Parallel Genetic Algorithm for the Vehicle Routing Problem with Heterogeneous Fleet, Proc. of the BioSP3, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag 1388 (1998) 187–195.Google Scholar
- 10.Ribeiro, J.L.: An Object-oriented Programming Environment for Parallel Genetic Algorithms, Ph.D. Thesis, Dep. of Comp. Science, Univ. College London (1995).Google Scholar
- 11.Rocha, M.L., Ochi, L.S., Glover, F.: A Hybrid Genetic Algorithm for the Periodic Vehicle Routing Problem (1998)—(To be published).Google Scholar
- 12.Snir, M., Otto, S.W., Huss-Lederman, S., Walker, D.W., Dongarra, J.: MPI: The Complete Reference, The MIT Press (1996).Google Scholar