Full matrix techniques in sparse Gaussian elimination
We discuss ways in which code for Gaussian elimination on full systems can be used in crucial parts of the code for the solution of sparse linear equations. We indicate the benefits of using full matrix techniques in the later stages of Gaussian elimination and describe frontal and multi-frontal schemes where such benefits are obtained automatically. We also illustrate the advantages of such approaches when running sparse codes on vector machines.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cliffe, K.A., Jackson, C.P., Rae, J. and Winters, K.H. (1978). Finite element flow modelling using velocity and pressure variables. Harwell Report, AERE R. 9202.Google Scholar
- Du Croz, J.J., Nugent, S.M., Reid, J.K. and Taylor, D.B. (1978). Solving large full sets of linear equations in a paged virtual store. Harwell Report, CSS 68. To appear in TOMS.Google Scholar
- Duff, I.S. (1977). MA28—a set of Fortran subroutines for sparse unsymmetric linear equations. Harwell Report, AERE R. 8730. HMSO, London.Google Scholar
- Duff, I.S. (1981a). MA32—a package for solving sparse unsymmetric systems using the frontal method. Harwell Report, AERE R. 10079 HMSO, London.Google Scholar
- Duff, I.S. (1981b). The design and use of a frontal scheme for solving sparse unsymmetric equations. To appear in Proceedings of 3rd Workshop on Numerical Analysis. Cocoyoc, Mexico. Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Sprigner.Google Scholar
- Duff, I.S. (1981c). A sparse future. pp. 1–29 in Sparse Matrices and their Uses. I.S. Duff (Ed.). Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Duff, I.S. and Reid, J.K. (1979). Performance evaluation of codes for sparse matrix problems. pp. 121–135. in Performance Evaluation of Numerical Software. L. Fosdick (Ed.). North Holland.Google Scholar
- Duff, I.S. and Reid, J.K. (1981a). MA27—a set of Fortran subroutines for the solution of sparse symmetric linear equations. To appear as an AERE R report.Google Scholar
- Duff, I.S. and Reid, J.K. (1981b). Experience of sparse matrix codes on the CRAY-1. Invited paper at Conference on Vector and Parallel Processors in Computational Science. Chester. August 1981.Google Scholar
- Eisenstat, S.C., Gursky, M.C., Schultz, M.H. and Sherman, A.H. (1977). Yale sparse matrix package. I. The Symmetric Codes. Dept. Computer Science, Yale University Report #112.Google Scholar
- George, A., Liu, J.W.H. and Ng, E. (1980). User Guide for SPARSPAK: Waterloo Sparse Linear Equations Package. Comput. Sci. Report CS-78-30, Waterloo, Canada.Google Scholar
- George, A. and Liu, J.W.H. (1981). Computer solution of large sparse positive definite systems. Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar
- IBM (1976). IBM System/360 and System/370 IBM 1130 and IBM 1800 Subroutine Library—Mathematics. User's Guide. Program Product 5736-XM7. IBM catalogue #SH12-5300-1.Google Scholar