Priority assignment for embedded reactive real-time systems
We consider a model of reactive real-time systems in which tasks are enabled in reaction to external events or executions of other tasks, and enabled tasks are scheduled according to a fixed priority policy. For such a model, we propose a schedule validation method. The method is applicable to a class of priority assignments that require less total processor time than assignments that could be validated by previous methods. The method is safe in the sense that if it validates a system, then it is guaranteed that no timing violations occur. However, it is conservative, in the sense that it may not be able to validate some correct systems. Based on this method, we also propose a priority assignment algorithm. The algorithm is optimal in the sense that if an assignment that satisfies the proposed schedule validation method exists, the algorithm will find it.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. C. Audsley. Optimal priority assignement and feasibility of static priority tasks with arbitrary start times. Technical report, University of York, England, 1991.Google Scholar
- 2.Neil C. Audsley, Alan Burns, M. Richardson, Ken W. Tindell, and Andy J. Wellings. Applying new scheduling theory to static priority pre-emptive scheduling. Software Engineering Journal, pages 284–292, September 1993.Google Scholar
- 3.Neil C. Audsley, Ken W. Tindell, and Alan Burns. The end of the line for static cyclic scheduling? In Proceedings of the 5th Euromicro Workshop on Real-Time Systems, pages 36–41, Oulu, Finland, 1993.Google Scholar
- 4.Felice Balarin et al. Hardware-software co-design of embedded systems: the POLIS approach. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.Felice Balarin, Harry Hsieh, Attila Jurecska, Luciano Lavagno, and Alberto Sangiovanni-Vincentelli. Formal verification of embedded systems based on CFSM networks. In Proceedings of the 33th ACM/IEEE Design Automation Conference, pages 568–571, June 1996.Google Scholar
- 6.Felice Balarin and Alberto Sangiovanni-Vincentelli. Schedule validation for embedded reactive real-time systems. In Proceedings of the 34th ACM/IEEE Design Automation Conference, June 1997.Google Scholar