On the automatic design of robust electronics through artificial evolution
‘Unconstrained intrinsic hardware evolution’ allows an evolutionary algorithm freedom to find the forms and processes natural to a reconfigurable VLSI medium. It has been shown to produce highly unconventional but extremely compact FPGA configurations for simple tasks, but these circuits are usually not robust enough to be useful: they malfunction if used on a slightly different FPGA, or at a different temperature. After defining an ‘operational envelope’ of robustness, the feasibility of performing fitness evaluations in widely varying physical conditions in order to provide a selection-pressure for robustness is demonstrated. Preliminary experimental results are encouraging.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fogarty, T., Miller, J., & Thomson, P. (1998). Evolving digital logic circuits on Xilinx 6000 family FPGAs. In Chawdhry, Roy, & Pant (Eds.), Soft Computing in Engineering Design and Manufacturing, pp. 299–305. Springer.Google Scholar
- Harvey, I., & Thompson, A. (1997). Through the labyrinth evolution finds a way: A silicon ridge. In Higuchi, T., & Iwata, M. (Eds.), Proc. 1st Int. Conf. on Evolvable Systems (ICES’96), LNCS 1259, pp. 406–422. Springer.Google Scholar
- Jakobi, N. (1997). Half-baked, ad-hoc and noisy: Minimal simulations for evolutionary robotics. In Husbands, P., & Harvey, I. (Eds.), Proc. 4th Eur. Conf. on Artificial Life (ECAL’97), pp. 348–357. MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Melcor, http://www.melcor.com/ (1998). Thermoelectric Hardbook. R.S. Components Ltd., PO Box 99, Corby, Northants NN17 9RS, UK (1988). Peltier effect heat pumps. Datasheet 7562.Google Scholar
- Salami, M., Iwata, M., & Higuchi, T. (1997). Lossless image compression by evolvable hardware. In Husbands, P., & Harvey, I. (Eds.), Proc. 4th Eur. Conf. on Artificial Life (ECAL’97), pp. 407–416. MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Thompson, A. (1996). Silicon evolution. In Koza et al. (Eds.), Genetic Programming 1996: Proc. 1st Annual Conf. (GP96), pp. 444–452. MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Thompson, A. (1997a). An evolved circuit, intrinsic in silicon, entwined with physics. In Higuchi, T., & Iwata, M. (Eds.), Proc. 1st Int. Conf. on Evolvable Systems (ICES’96), LNCS 1259, pp. 390–405. Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Thompson, A. (1997c). Temperature in natural and artificial systems. In Husbands, P., & Harvey, I. (Eds.), Proc. 4th Eur. Conf. on Artificial Life (ECAL’97), pp. 388–397. MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Xilinx (1996). The Programmable Logic Data Book. See http://www.xilinx.com. Xilinx, Inc., http://www.xilinx.com/products/6200DS.htm (1998). XC6200 Development System. Datasheet V1.2.Google Scholar