On-line monitoring support in PVM and MPI
PVM and MPI have often been compared regarding their functionality and performance from the users' point of view. In this paper, however, we will present some comparison from a tool developer's point of view. We will show how a supporting infrastructure — the OMIS compliant monitoring system OCM — can be implemented for both PVM and MPI. Thus, we will put light onto those features of PVM and MPI that support the implementation of on-line tools.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BDG+95]A. Beguelin, J. Dongarra, A. Geist, R. Manchek, and V. Sunderam. Recent Enhancements to PVM. International Journal of Supercomputing Applications and High Performance Computing, 9(2), 1995.Google Scholar
- [Dol]Dolphin Interconnect Solutions, Inc. TotalView Overview. WWW page. http://www.dolphinics.com/tw/tvover.htm.Google Scholar
- [For95]The MPI Forum. MPI: A Message-Passing Interface Standard, Version 1.1. Technical report, Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, June 1995. http://www.mpi-forum.org/docs/mpi-11.ps.Z.Google Scholar
- [For97]The MPI Forum. MPI-2: Extensions to the Message-Passing Interface. Technical report, Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, July 1997. http://www.mpi-forum.org/docs/mpi-20.ps.Z.Google Scholar
- [GBD+94]A. Geist, A. Beguelin, J. Dongarra, W. Jiang, R. Mancheck, and V. Sunderam. PVM: Parallel Virtual Machine. A Users' Guide and Tutorial for Networked Parallel Computing. MIT Press, 1994.Google Scholar
- [GLDS96]W. Gropp, E. Lusk, N. Doss, and A. Skjellum. A High-Performance, Portable Implementation of the MPI Message Passing Interface Standard. Technical report, Argonne National Lab, July 1996. http://www.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpicharticle/paper.html.Google Scholar
- [LW97]T. Ludwig and R. Wismüller. OMIS 2.0 — A Universal Interface for Monitoring Systems. In M. Bubak et al., editors, Proc. 4th European PVM/MPI Users' Group Meeting, volume 1332 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 267–276, Crakow, Poland, November 1997. Springer Verlag. http://www.in.turn.de/~wismuell/pub/europvm97b.ps.gz.Google Scholar
- [LWSB97]T. Ludwig, R. Wismüller, V. Sunderam, and A. Bode. OMIS — On-line Monitoring Interface Specification (Version 2.0), volume 9 of LRR-TUM Research Report Series. Shaker Verlag, Aachen, Germany, 1997. http://wwwbode.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~omis/OMIS/Version-2.0/version-2.0.ps.gz.Google Scholar
- [SMP95]T. Sterling, P. Messina, and J. Pool. Findings of the Second Pasadena Workshop on System Software and Tools for High Performance Computing Environments. Technical report, Center of Excellence in Space Data and Information Sciences, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Maryland, 1995. http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/PAS2/findings.html.Google Scholar
- [WTL98]R. Wismüller, J. Trinitis, and T. Ludwig. OCM — A Monitoring System for Interoperable Tools. In Proc. 2nd SIGMETRICS Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Tools, Welches, OR, USA, August 1998. To appear.Google Scholar