Harness: The next generation beyond PVM
Harness is the next generation heterogeneous distributed computing package being developed by the PVM team at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, University of Tennessee, and Emory University. This paper describes the changing trends in cluster computing and how Harness is being designed to address the future needs of PVM and MPI application developers. Harness (which will support both PVM and MPI) will allow users to dynamically customize, adapt, and extend a virtual machine's features to more closely match the needs of their application and to optimize for the underlying computer resources. This paper will describe the architecture and core services of this new virtual machine paradigm, our progress on this project, and our experiences with early prototypes of Harness.
KeywordsVirtual Machine Parallel Application Core Service Tuple Space User Registration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Fagg, K. Moore, J. Dongarra, and A. Geist, Scalable Networked Information Processing Environment (SNIPE), In Proc. SC97, November 1997.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Geist, A. Beguelin, J. Dongarra, W. Jiang, B. Manchek, and V. Sunderam. PVM: Parallel Virtual Machine A User's Guide and Tutorial for Networked Parallel Computing. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1994.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Geist, J. Kohl, R. Manchek, and P. Papadopoulos. New features of PVM 3.4 and beyond. In Dongarra, Gengler, Tourancheau, and Vigouroux, editors, EuroPVM'95, pages 1–10. Hermes Press, Paris, 1995.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Geist, and P. Papadopoulos. Symmetric Distributed Control in Networkbased Parallel Computing Journal of Computer Communications, 1998. (http://www.epm.ornl.gov/harness/dc2.ps).Google Scholar
- 5.P. Gray and V. Sunderam. The IceT Project: An Environment for Cooperative Distributed Computing, 1997. (http://www.mathcs.emory.edu/~gray/IceT.ps).Google Scholar
- 6.T. Ludwig, R. Wismuller, V. Sunderam, and A. Bode. Omis — on-line monitoring interface specification. Technical Report TUM-19609, Technische Universität München, February 1996.Google Scholar
- 7.M. Migliard, J. Dongarra, A. Geist, and V. Sunderam. Dynamic Reconfiguration and Virtual Machine Management in the Harness Metacomputing System, ISCOPE 1998. (http://www.epm.ornl.gov/harness/om.ps).Google Scholar
- 8.M. Snir, S. Otto, S. Huss-Lederman, D. Walker, and J. Dongarra. MPI: The Complete Reference. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1996.Google Scholar