Lazy functional algorithms for exact real functionals
We show how functional languages can be used to write programs for real-valued functionals in exact real arithmetic. We concentrate on two useful functionals: definite integration, and the functional returning the maximum value of a continuous function over a closed interval. The algorithms are a practical application of a method, due to Berger, for computing quantifiers over streams. Correctness proofs for the algorithms make essential use of domain theory.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J.-C. Bajard, D. Michelucci, J.-M. Moreau, and J.-M. Muller. Introduction to special issue: “Real Numbers and Computers”. Journal of Universal Computer Science, 1(7):436–438, 1995.Google Scholar
- 2.U. Berger. Totale Objecte und Mengen in Bereichstheorie. PhD Thesis, University of Munich, 1990.Google Scholar
- 4.H.J. Boehm and R. Cartwright. Exact real arithmetic: Formulating real numbers as functions. In D. Turner, editor, Research Topics in Functional Programming, pages 43–64. Adison-Wesley, 1990.Google Scholar
- 5.H.J. Boehm, R. Cartwright, M. Riggle, and M.J. O'Donnel. Exact real arithmetic: a case study in higher order programming. In ACM Symposium on LISP and Functional Programming, 1986.Google Scholar
- 6.P. Di Gianantonio. A Functional Approach to Computability on Real Numbers. PhD Thesis, University of Pisa, 1993.Google Scholar
- 7.P. Di Gianantonio. An abstract data type for real numbers. In Proceedings of ICALP-97, pages 121–131. Springer LNCS 1256, 1997.Google Scholar
- 8.A. Edalat and M.H. Escardó. Integration in Real PCF. Information and Computation, To appear, 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Edalat and P.J. Potts. Exact Real Computer Arithmetic. Presented at workshop: New Paradigms for Computation on Classical Spaces, Birmingham, 1997.Google Scholar
- 11.M.H. Escardó. Properly injective spaces and function spaces. Topology and its Applications, To appear, 1998.Google Scholar
- 12.C.A. Gunter. Semantics of Programming. MIT Press, 1992.Google Scholar
- 14.V. Menissier-Morain. Arbitrary precision real arithmetic: Design and algorithms. Journal of Symbolic Computation, Submitted, 1996.Google Scholar
- 16.G.D. Plotkin. Full abstraction, totality and PCF. Math. Struct. in Comp. Sci., To appear, 1998.Google Scholar