A hardware operating system for dynamic reconfiguration of FPGAs
This paper proposes a hardware operating system which provides a number of basic resource management services aimed at facilitating the use of dynamically reconfigurable devices in the design and implementation of effective reconfigurable systems. In particular, a number of tedious and error prone low level resource management tasks are automatically supported by the proposed operating system, thus becoming transparent to the designer of the reconfigurable system. The several components of the operating system, as well as their implementation in a hardware reconfiguration controller, are described in some detail.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Patrick Lysaght and John Dunlop, “Dynamic Reconfiguration of FPGAs”, in More FPGAs. Abingdon EE&CS Books, pp. 82–94. 1993.Google Scholar
- J. D. Hadley and Brad L. Hutchings. “Designing a Partially Reconfigured System”. FPGAs for Fast Board Development and Reconfigurable Computing. Proc. SPIE 2607. pp. 210–220. 1995.Google Scholar
- Michael J. Wirthlin and Brad L. Hutchings. “DISC: The dynamic instruction set computer”. FPGAs for Fast Board Development and Reconfigurable Computing. Proc. SPIE 2607. pp. 92–103. 1995.Google Scholar
- Christian Iseli. “Spyder: A Reconfigurable Processor Development System”. PhD Thesis No. 1476. Polytechnic Federal School. Lausanne. 1996.Google Scholar
- Julio Faura, et al. “Multicontext Dynamic Reconfiguration and Real Time Probing on a Novel Mixed Signal Device with On-chip Microprocessor”. 7th International Workshop on Field Programmable Logic and Applications. 1997.Google Scholar
- W. Luk, et al. “Pipeline Morphing and Virtual Pipelines”. 7th International Workshop on Field Programmable Logic and Applications. pp 111–120. 1997.Google Scholar
- Gordon Brebner. “A Virtual Hardware Operating System for the XC6200”.6th International Workshop on Field Programmable Logic and Applications. pp 327–336. 1996.Google Scholar
- Steve Casselman, et al. “Hardware Object Programming on a Reconfigurable Computer”. Virtual Computer Corporation 1996.Google Scholar
- Patrick Lysaght and Jon Stockwood, “A Simulation Tool for Dynamically Reconfigurable Field Programmable Gate Arrays”, in IEEE Trans. on VLSI Systems, Vol. 4, No. 3, September 1996.Google Scholar
- Pedro Merino, Juan Carlos López and Margarida Jacome, “Task Partitioning for Reconfigurable Systems”. Sixth BELSIGN Workshop. Behavioural Design Methodologies for Digital Systems. Aveiro (Portugal). pp 127–130. October 1997.Google Scholar
- Pedro Merino, Margarida Jacome and Juan Carlos López, “A Methodology for Task Based Partitioning and Scheduling of Dynamically Reconfigurable Systems”. IEEE Symposium on FPGAs for Custom Computing Machines. April 1998.Google Scholar