The BANG-clustering system: Grid-based data analysis
For the analysis of large images the clustering of the data set is a common technique to identify correlation characteristics of the underlying value space. In this paper a new approach to hierarchical clustering of very large data sets is presented. The BANG-Clustering system presented in this paper is a novel approach to hierarchical data analysis. It is based on the BANG-Clustering method ([Sch96]) and uses a multidimensional grid data structure to organize the value space surrounding the pattern values. The patterns are grouped into blocks and clustered with respect to the blocks by a topological neighbor search algorithm.
KeywordsCluster Algorithm Cluster Center Neighbor Search Data Block Density Index
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bru88]M. Bruynooghe. A very efficient strategy for very large data sets clustering. In Proc. 9th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, pages 623–627. IEEE Computer Society, 1988.Google Scholar
- [DJ80]R. Dubes and A.K. Jain. Clustering methodologies in exploratory data analysis, volume 19, pages 113–228. Academia Press, 1980.Google Scholar
- [Erh95]Martin Erhart. Entwurf und Implementation eines BANG-File-basierten Clusteranalyseverfahrens. Master's thesis, University of Vienna, September 1995.Google Scholar
- [Fre87]M.W. Freestone. The bang file: A new kind of grid file. In Proc. Special Interest Group on Management of Data, pages 260–269. ACM, May 1987.Google Scholar
- [Sch96]E. Schikuta. Grid clustering: An efficient hierarchical clustering method for very large data sets. In Proc. 13th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, volume 2, pages 101–105. IEEE Computer Society, 1996.Google Scholar