Comparison between genetic algorithms and particle swarm optimization
This paper compares two evolutionary computation paradigms: genetic algorithms and particle swarm optimization. The operators of each paradigm are reviewed, focusing on how each affects search behavior in the problem space. The goals of the paper are to provide additional insights into how each paradigm works, and to suggest ways in which performance might be improved by incorporating features from one paradigm into the other.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm Particle Swarm Optimization Problem Space Inertia Weight Elitist Strategy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Davis, L., Ed. (1991), Handbook of Genetic Algorithms, New York, NY: Van Nostrand Reinhold.Google Scholar
- 2.Eberhart, R. C., Dobbins, R. W., and Simpson, P. K. (1996), Computational Intelligence PC Tools, Boston: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- 3.Eberhart, R. C., and Kennedy, J. (1995), A new optimizer using particle swarm theory, Proc. Sixth International Symposium on Micro Machine and Human Science (Nagoya, Japan), IEEE Service Center, Piscataway, NJ, 39–43.Google Scholar
- 4.Fogel, L. J. (1994), Evolutionary programming in perspective: the top-down view, in Computational Intelligence: Imitating Life, J.M. Zurada, R. J. Marks II, and C. J. Robinson, Eds., IEEE Press, Piscataway, NJ.Google Scholar
- 5.Goldberg, D. E. (1989), Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning, Reading MA: Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- 6.Kennedy, J., and Eberhart, R. C. (1995), Particle swarm optimization, Proc. IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks (Perth, Australia), IEEE Service Center, Piscataway, NJ, IV: 1942–1948.Google Scholar
- 7.Kennedy, J. (1997), The particle swarm: social adaptation of knowledge, Proc. IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation (Indianapolis, Indiana), IEEE Service Center, Piscataway, NJ, 303–308.Google Scholar
- 8.Koza, J. R. (1992), Genetic Programming: On the Programming of Computers by Means of Natural Selection, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- 9.Rechenberg, I. (1994), Evolution strategy, in Computational Intelligence: Imitating Life, J. M. Zurada, R. J. Marks II, and C. Robinson, Eds., IEEE Press, Piscataway, NJ.Google Scholar
- 10.Shi, Y. H., Eberhart, R. C., (1998), A modified particle swarm optimizer, Proc. of 1998 IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation, Anchorage, AK, in press.Google Scholar
- 11.Shi, Y. H., Eberhart, R. C., (1998), Parameter selection in particle swarm optimization, Proc. EP98: The 7th Ann. Conf. on Evolutionary Programming, San Diego, CA, in press.Google Scholar