On the effectiveness of different diffusive load balancing policies in dynamic applications
The paper presents and evaluates a set of local dynamic load balancing strategies inspired to diffusion and characterised by different scopes of locality. The paper shows that policies with a very limited scope suit well highly dynamic applications; slowly dynamic applications, instead, can take advantage of diffusion policies with enlarged scope.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Candlin, J. Phillips, “The Dynamic Behaviour of Parallel Programs under Process Migration”, Concurrency: Practice and Experience, Vol. 7, No. 7, Oct. 1995.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Corradi, L. Leonardi, F. Zambonelli, “Load Balancing Strategies for Massively Parallel Architectures”, Parallel Processing Letters, Vol. 2, No. 2&3, Sept. 1992.Google Scholar
- 3.G. Cybenko, “Dynamic Load Balancing for Distributed Memory Multiprocessors”, J. of Par. & Dist. Comp., Vol. 7, No. 2, Feb. 1989.Google Scholar
- 4.P. K. Keong Loh et al., “How Network Topology Affects Load Balancing”, IEEE Parallel and Distributed Technology, Vol. 4, No. 3, Fall 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.F. C. H. Lin, R. M. Keller, “The Gradient Model Load Balancing Method”, IEEE TSE, Vol. 13, No. 1, Jan. 1987.Google Scholar
- 6.N. G. Shivaratri, P. Krueger, M. Singhal, “Load Distributing for Locally Distributed System”, IEEE Computer, Vol. 25, No. 12, Dec. 1992.Google Scholar
- 7.M. H. Willebeck-Le Mair, A. P. Reeves, “Strategies for Dynamic Load Balancing on Highly Parallel Computers”, IEEE TPDS, Vol. 4, No. 9, Sept. 1993.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Y. Wu, “Symmetrical Hopping: a Scalable Scheduling Algorithm for Irregular Problems”, Concurrency: Practice and Experience, Vol. 7, No. 7, Oct. 1995.Google Scholar
- 9.M. Xu, et al., “Nearest Neighbour Algorithms for Load Balancing in Parallel Computers”, Concurrency Practice & Experience, Vol. 7, No. 7, Oct. 1995.Google Scholar
- 10.M. Xu, F. C. M. Lau, “The Generalised Dimension Exchange Method for Load Balancing in k-ary n-cubes and Variants”, J. of Par. & Dist. Comp., Vol. 24, No. 1, Jan. 1995.Google Scholar