The derivation of distributed termination detection algorithms from garbage collection schemes
It is shown that the termination detection problem for distributed computations can be modeled as an instance of the garbage collection problem. Consequently, algorithms for the termination detection problem are obtained by applying transformations to garbage collection algorithms. The transformation can be applied to collectors of the “mark-and-sweep” type as well as to reference counting garbage collectors. As an example, the scheme is used to transform the weighted reference counting protocol.
KeywordsTermination Detection Garbage Collection Indicator Object Passive Process Garbage Collector
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [CL85]Chandy, K.M., L. Lamport, Distributed Snapshots: Determining Global States of Distributed Systems, ACM Trans. on Computer Systems 3 (1985) 45–56.Google Scholar
- [LM86]Lermen, C.-W., D. Maurer, A Protocol for Distributed Reference Counting, ACM Conference on Lisp and Functional Programming, Cambridge, 1986, pp. 343–354.Google Scholar
- [Ru90]Rudalics, M., Implementation of Distributed Reference Counts, Technical Report (forthcoming), Research Institute for Symbolic Computation, J. Kepler University, Linz, 1990.Google Scholar
- [SF86]Shavit, N., N. Francez, A New Approach to Detection of Locally Indicative Stability, in: L. Kott (ed.), Proceedings ICALP 1986, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 226, Springer-Verlag, 1986, pp. 344–358.Google Scholar
- [Te90]Tel, G., Total Algorithms, Technical Report RUU-CS-88-16, Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University, 1988. Also in: Algorithms Review 1 (1990) 13–42.Google Scholar
- [TM90]Tel, G., F. Mattern, The Derivation of Distributed Termination Detection Algorithms from Garbage Collection Schemes, Technical Report RUU-CS-90-24, Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University, 1990.Google Scholar
- [WW87]Watson, P., I. Watson, An Efficient Garbage Collection Scheme for Parallel Computer Architectures, in: J.W. de Bakker, A.J. Nijman, P.C. Treleaven (eds.), Proceedings Parallel Architectures and Languages Europe, vol. II, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 259, Springer-Verlag, 1987, pp. 432–443.Google Scholar