An improved scheme to fingerprint classification
- First Online:
An improved scheme to fingerprint classification is presented in this paper. It is well known that automatic fingerprint identification system usually needs to access very huge data — thousands of fingerprints stored in database. Thus a good automatic classification algorithm is an important module in such a system. Further more, for identification of fingerprint, it also asks few error occurred in its pre-classification stage. The scheme presented here extracts the singularities of fingerprints. Based on those points, the flow-lines which describe the global pattern of fingerprint are obtained with flow-line tracing algorithm using the direction and skeleton information. The properties of the flowlines are analyzed with respect to fingerprint pattern. Then the scheme performs the overlapped classification algorithm with these information, which reduced the error of classification greatly. Some experimental results are reported.
KeywordsClassification Pattern description Image processing Singular point Flow-line Fingerprint Uncertainty information
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. R. Henry. Classification and Uses of Finger Prints. London: Rouledge, 1900.Google Scholar
- 3.G. T. Candela et. al. PCASYS — A Pattern-Level Classification Automation System for Fingerprints. Technical Report NISTIR 5647, Computer Systems Laboratory, Advanced Systems Division, National Institute of Standards and Technology, U.S. Dept of Commerce, Aug. 1995.Google Scholar
- 6.Weimin Huang, Gang Rong and Zhaoqi Bian. A Method of the Description of Image Information for the Classification of Fingerprints. Journal of Tsinghua University, 34(54):107–115, 1994.Google Scholar
- 8.Weimin Huang, Jian-Kang Wu and Chian-Prong Lam. Fingerprint Image Enhancement with Steerable Filters. Technical Report ISS97-06, Institute of Systems Science, National University of Singapore, July. 1997.Google Scholar
- 10.R. M. Haralick et. al. Image Segmentation Techniques. Comput. Vision Graphics Image Process., 29:100–132, 1985.Google Scholar
- 14.C. V. K. Rao and K. Balck. Type classification of fingerprints: A syntactic approach. IEEE Trans. PAMI, 2:223–231, 1980.Google Scholar