Reporting exact and approximate regular expression matches
While much work has been done on determining if a document or a line of a document contains an exact or approximate match to a regular expression, less effort has been expended in formulating and determining what to report as “the match” once such a “hit” is detected. For exact regular expression pattern matching, we give algorithms for finding a longest match, all symbols involved in some match, and finding optimal submatches to tagged parts of a pattern. For approximate regular expression matching, we develop notions of what constitutes a significant match, give algorithms for them, and also for finding a longest match and all symbols in a match.
KeywordsRegular Expression Edit Graph Approximate Match Space Algorithm Longe Match
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [CC97]C.A. Clarke and G.V. Cormack. On the use of regular expressons for searching text. ACM Trans. on Prog. Languages and Systems, 19(3):413–426, 1997.Google Scholar
- [IEE92]IEEE. Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX). IEEE Std 1003.2, Inst. of EE Engineers, New York, 1992.Google Scholar
- [MJ96]E. Myers and M. Jain. Going against the grain. In Carleton University Press, editor, Proc. 3rd South American Workshop on String Processing, International Informatics Series #4, pages 203–213, 1996.Google Scholar
- [MM88]E. Myers and W. Miller. Approximate matching of regular expressions. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, 51(1):5–37, 1988.Google Scholar
- [Ous94]J.K. Ousterhout. Tcl and the TK Toolkit. Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1994.Google Scholar
- [Sed83]R. Sedgewick. Algorithms. Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1983.Google Scholar
- [Se184]P.H. Sellers. Pattern recognition in genetic sequences by mismatch density. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, 46:501–514, 1984.Google Scholar
- [SW81]T.F. Smith and M.S. Waterman. Identification of common molecular sequence. J. of Molecular Biology, 147:195–197, 1981.Google Scholar
- [Tho68]K. Thompson. Regular expression search algorithm. Comm. of ACM, 11(6):419–422, 1968.Google Scholar
- [WS91]L. Wall and R.L. Schwartz. Programming Perl. O'Reilly and Associates, Sebastopol, Calif., 1991.Google Scholar