Efficient parallel algorithm for the editing distance between ordered trees
Ordered labeled trees are trees whose nodes are labeled and in which the left-to-right order among siblings is significant. The tree editing problem for input ordered labeled trees T1 and T2 is defined as transforming T1 into T2 by performing a series of weighted edit operations on T1 with overall minimum cost. An edit operation can be the deletion, the insertion, and the substitution. Previous results on this problem are only for some special cases and the time complexity depends on the actual distance, though for the more restricted version of degree-2 edit distance problem there are efficient solutions. In this extended abstract, we show polylogrithmic time algorithm for this problem.
KeywordsTime Complexity Directed Acyclic Graph Edit Distance Computation Graph Edit Operation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Apostolico, M.J. Atallah, L.L. Larmore and S. Mcfaddin, ‘Efficient parallel algorithms for string editing and related problems', SIAM J. Comput., vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 968–988, 1990Google Scholar
- 2.S. Y. Lu, “A tree-to-tree distance and its application to cluster analysis”, IEEE Tracas. PAMI, vol. 1, pp.219–224, 1979Google Scholar
- 3.G. M. Landau and U. Vishkin, ‘Fast parallel and serial approximate string matching', J. Algorithms, vol. 10, pp.157–169, 1989Google Scholar
- 4.S. M. Selkow, ‘The tree-to-tree editing problem', Information Processing Letters, no. 6, 184–186, 1977Google Scholar
- 5.B. Shapiro, An algorithm for comparing multiple RNA secondary structures, Comput. Appl. Biosci., pp. 387–393, 1988Google Scholar
- 6.B. Shapiro and K. Zhang, ‘Comparing multiple RNA secondary structures using tree comparisons’ Comput. Appl. Biosci. vol. 6, no. 4, pp.309–318, 1990Google Scholar
- 7.D. Shasha and K. Zhang, ‘Fast algorithms for the unit cost edit distance between trees', J. of Algorithms, vol. 11, pp. 581–621, 1990Google Scholar
- 8.K. C. Tai, ‘The tree-to-tree correction problem', J. ACM, vol. 26, pp.422–433, 1979Google Scholar
- 9.K. Zhang, ‘A new editing based distance between unordered labeled trees', In A. Apostolico, M. Crochemore, Z. Galil, and U. Manber, editors, Combinatorial Pattern Matching, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 684, pp. 254–265. Springer-Verlag, 1993; journal version is to appear in Algorithmica.Google Scholar
- 10.K. Zhang, ‘Efficient parallel algorithms for tree editing problems', Proceedings of the Seventh Symposium on Combinatorial Pattern MatchingGoogle Scholar
- 11.K. Zhang, J. Wang and D. Shasha, ‘On the editing distance between undirected acyclic graphs', Proceedings of the Sixth Symposium on Combinatorial Pattern Matching, Helsinki, Finland, July 1995. Springer-Verlag's Lecture Notes in Computer Science 937, pp 395–407.Google Scholar
- 12.K. Zhang and D. Shasha, ‘Simple fast algorithms for the editing distance between trees and related problems', SIAM J. Computing vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1245–1262, 1989Google Scholar