Nearly optimal language compression using extractors
- Most strings in easy sets have nearly optimal polynomial-time CD complexity. This extends work of Sipser [Sip83] and Buhrman and Fortnow [BF97].
- We use extractors to extract the randomness of strings. In particular we show how to get from an arbitrary string, an incompressible string which encodes almost as much polynomial-time CND complexity as the original string.
TopicsComputational and structural complexity Kolmogorov complexity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BF97]H. Buhrman and L. Fortnow. Resource-bounded kolmogorov complexity revisited. In Proceedings of the 14th Symposium on Theoretical Aspects of Computer Science, volume 1200 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 105–116. Springer, Berlin, 1997.Google Scholar
- [LV97]M. Li and P. Vitányi. An Introduction to Kolmogorov Complexity and Its Applications. Graduate Texts in Computer Science. Springer, New York, second edition, 1997.Google Scholar
- [Nis96]N. Nisan. Extracting randomness: How and why (a survey). In Proceedings of the 11th IEEE Conference on Computational Complexity, pages 44–58. IEEE, New York, 1996.Google Scholar
- [NZ93]N. Nisan and D. Zuckerman. More deterministic simulation in logspace. In Proceedings of the 25th ACM Symposium on the Theory of Computing, pages 235–244. ACM, New York, 1993.Google Scholar
- [Sip83]M. Sipser. A complexity theoretic approach to randomness. In Proceedings of the 15th ACM Symposium on the Theory of Computing, pages 330–335. ACM, New York, 1983.Google Scholar
- [Ta-96]A. Ta-Shma. On extracting randomness from weak random sources (extended abstract). In Proceedings of the 28th ACM Symposium on the Theory of Computing, pages 276–285. ACM, New York, 1996.Google Scholar
- [Zuc96]D. Zuckerman. Randomness-optimal sampling, extractors, and constructive leader election. In Proceedings of the 28th ACM Symposium on the Theory of Computing, pages 286–295. ACM, New York, 1996.Google Scholar