Simplifying the modal mu-calculus alternation hierarchy
In [Bra96], the strictness of the modal mu-calculus alternation hierarchy was shown by transferring a hierarchy from arithmetic; the latter was a corollary of a deep and highly technical analysis of [Lub93]. In this paper, we show that the alternation hierarchy in arithmetic can be established by entirely elementary means; further, simple examples of strict alternation depth n formulae can be constructed, which in turn give very simple examples to separate the modal hierarchy. In addition, the winning strategy formulae of parity games are shown to be such examples.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bra91]J. C. Bradfield, Verifying Temporal Properties of Systems (Birkhäuser Boston, 1991).Google Scholar
- [Bra96]J. C. Bradfield, The modal mu-calculus alternation hierarchy is strict, in: U. Montanari and V. Sassone, eds., Proc. CONCUR '96, LNCS 1119 (Springer, Berlin, 1996) 233–246.Google Scholar
- [EmJ91]E. A. Emerson and C. S. Jutla, Tree automata, mu-calculus and determinacy, in: Proc. FOGS 91. (1991)Google Scholar
- [EmL86]E. A. Emerson and C.-L. Lei, Efficient model checking in fragments of the propositional mu-calculus, in: Proc 1st LICS (IEEE, Los Alamitos, CA, 1986) 267–278.Google Scholar
- [Len96]G. Lenzi, A hierarchy theorem for the mu-calculus, in: F. Meyer auf der Heide and B. Monien, eds., Proc. ICALP '96, LNCS 1099 (Springer, Berlin, 1996) 87–109.Google Scholar
- [Mos84]A. W. Mostowski, Regular expressions for infinite trees and a standard form of automata, in: A. Skowron, ed., Fifth Symp. on Computation Theory, LNCS 208 (Springer, Berlin, 1984) 157–168.Google Scholar
- [Niw86]D. Niwifiski, On fixed point clones, in: L. Kott, ed., Proc. 13th ICALP, LNCS 226 (Springer, Berlin, 1986) 464–473.Google Scholar
- [Sti91]C. P. Stirling, Modal and temporal logics, in: S. Abramsky, D. Gabbay and T. Maibaum, eds., Handbook of Logic in Computer Science, Vol. 2 (Oxford University Press, 1991) 477–563.Google Scholar
- [Wal96]I. Walukiewicz, Monadic second order logic on tree-like structures, in: C. Puech and Rüdiger Reischuk, eds., Proc. STACS '96, LNCS 1046 (Springer, Berlin, 1996) 401–414.Google Scholar