Breaking public key cryptosystems on tamper resistant devices in the presence of transient faults
In this paper we present a method of attacking public-key cryptosystems (PKCs) on tamper resistant devices. The attack makes use of transient faults and seems applicable to many types of PKCs. In particular, we show how to attack the RSA, the EIGamal signature scheme, the Schnorr signature scheme, and the DSA. We also present some possible methods to counter the attack.
KeywordsSmart Card Signature Scheme Transient Fault Resistant Device Digital Signature Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Anderson and M. Kuhn, “Tamper Resistance-A Cautionary Note”, to appear in the Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Electronic Commerce, Oakland, CA., Nov. 18-20, 1996.Google Scholar
- 2.F. Bao, R. Deng, Y. Han, A. Jeng, D. Narasimhalu, and T. Ngair, “Another New Attack to RSA on Tamperproof Devices”, 23rd October. 1996, http:// www.itd.nrl.navy.mil/ITD/5540/ieee/cipher/news-items/961022.sgtamper.html; “A Method to Counter Another New Attack to RSA on Tamperproof Devices”, 24th October. 1996, http://www.itd.nrl.navy.mil/ITD/5540/ieee/cipher/newsitems/ 961024.sgtampercounter.html.Google Scholar
- 3.F. Bao, R.. Deng, Y. Han, A. Jeng, D. Narasimhalu, and T. Ngair, “New Attacks to Public Key Cryptosystems on Tamperproof Devices”, 29th October. 1996,http://www.itd.nrl.navy.mil/ITD/5540/ieee/cipher/news-items/.Google Scholar
- 4.Bellcore Press Release, “New Threat Model Breaks Crypto Codes”, Sept. 1996, http://www.bellcore.com/PRESS/ADVSRY96/facts.html.Google Scholar
- 5.E. Biham and A. Shamir,“Research Announcement: A New Cryptanalytic Attack on DES”, 18th October 1996, http://jya.com/dfa.htm.Google Scholar
- 6.D. Boneh, R. A. DeMillo, and R. J. Lipton, “On the Importance of Checking Computations”, Submitted to Eurocrypt 96.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Joye and J.-J. Quisquater, “Attacks on systems using Chinese remaindering”, Technical Report CG-1996/9 of UCL, http://www.dice.ucl.ac.be/ci-ypto/.Google Scholar
- 9.A. K. Lenstra, “Memo on RSA Signature Generation in the Presence of Faults”, Manuscript, Sept. 28, 1996. Available from Author at firstname.lastname@example.org.Google Scholar