Formal verification and evaluation of execution time in the envelope theory
A logic based on the envelope theory for verification of properties of programs with evaluation of rational execution time is introduced. The truth value of proposition varies with time, so that its truth set becomes naïvely a set of rational time where it holds We shall, however, use a function for rational time to the set of such time sets. The “envelope” is a specialization of the closure concept attached to the lattice theory. Using this logic, properties, involving time or not, of programs can be verified more precisely and easily than using conventional methods, because concrete actual values of time length are explicitly dealt with in this relatively concise formal system. Examples follow.
KeywordsObservation Time Parallel Program Critical Section Formal Verification Program Variable
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ben-Ari, M.: Principles of concurrent programming, Prentice-Hall International, 1982.Google Scholar
- 2.Chaochen, Z.: Duration calculi: an overview, International Institute for Software Technology, The United Nations University, UNI/IIST Report, 10 (1993).Google Scholar
- 3.E. W. Dijkstra: Co-operating sequential process, Programming Languages (1968), pp, 43–112.Google Scholar
- 4.Igarashi, S.: Verification of programs, Journal of Information Processing Society of Japan, 19 (1978), pp. 1003–1010 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 5.Igarashi, S.: The-conversion and analytic semantics, Mason, R. E. A. (ed.), Inf. Proc., Elsevier Science Publishers B.V.(North-Holland), IFIP (1983), pp. 769–774.Google Scholar
- 6.Igarashi, S. Mizutani, T. and Tsuji, T.: An analytical semantics of parallel program processes represented by v-conversion, TENSOR, N, S, 45 (1987), pp. 222–228.Google Scholar
- 7.Igarashi, S. Mizutani, T. and Tsuji, T. Hosono, C.: On locomorphism in analytical equivalence theory, Logic, Language and Computation: Festschrift in Honor of Satoru Takasu, Lecture notes in computer science 792 (1994), pp. 173–187.Google Scholar
- 8.Kröger, F.: Temporal Logic of Programs, Springer-Verlag, 1987.Google Scholar
- 9.Mizutani, T., Igarashi, S. and Tsuji, T.: An analytical equivalence theory of computer programs, Proceedings of International Symposium on Structures in Mathematical Theories (1990), pp. 199–204.Google Scholar
- 10.Moszkowski, B. C.: Executing Temporal Logic Programs, Cambridge Univ. Press, 1986.Google Scholar
- 11.Mizutani, T., Hosono, C. and Igarashi, S.: Verification of programs using v-definable acts, Computer Software, 2 (1985), pp. 529–538 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 12.Takeuti, G.: Proof theory, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1975.Google Scholar