A TLA solution to the RPC-memory specification problem
We present a complete solution to the Broy-Lamport specification problem. Our specifications are written in TLA+, a formal language based on TLA. We give the high levels of structured proofs and sketch the lower levels, which will appear in full elsewhere.
KeywordsProcedure Call Memory Component Refinement Mapping State Predicate Fairness Condition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Martín Abadi, Leslie Lamport, and Stephan Merz. The Dagstuhl example—a TLA solution. World Wide Web page at http://www.research. digital.com/SRC/dagstuhl/dagstuhl.html. It can also be found by searching the Web for the 26-letter string formed by concatenating uid and lamportdagstuhlspecprob.Google Scholar
- 5.Manfred Broy and Leslie Lamport. The RPC-memory specification problem. In this volume. Also available on .Google Scholar
- 6.Nissim Francez. Fairness. Texts and Monographs in Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, New York, Berlin, Heidelberg, Tokyo, 1986.Google Scholar
- 7.Rob Gerth, Ruurd Kuiper, and John Segers. Interface refinement in reactive systems. In W. R. Cleaveland, editor, 3rd International Conference on Concurrency Theory, volume 630 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 77–93, Berlin, Heidelberg, 1992. Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- 8.Cliff B. Jones. Specification and design of (parallel) programs. In R. E. A. Mason, editor, Information Processing 83: Proceedings of the IFIP 9th World Congress, pages 321–332, Amsterdam, September 1983. IFIP, North-Holland.Google Scholar
- 9.Leslie Lamport. TLA—temporal logic of actions. At URL http://www.research. digital. com/SRC/tla/ on the World Wide Web. It can also be found by searching the Web for the 21-letter string formed by concatenating uid and lamporttlahomepage.Google Scholar
- 10.Leslie Lamport. How to write a proof. American Mathematical Monthly, 102(7):600–608, August–September 1993.Google Scholar
- 11.Leslie Lamport. Hybrid systems in TLA+. In Robert L. Grossman, Anil Nerode, Anders P. Ravn, and Hans Rischel, editors, Hybrid Systems, volume 736 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 77–102, Berlin, Heidelberg, 1993. Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- 14.Leslie Lamport and Stephan Merz. Specifying and verifying fault-tolerant systems. In H. Langmaack, W.-P. de Roever, and J. Vytopil, editors, Formal Techniques in Real-Time and Fault-Tolerant Systems, volume 863 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 41–76. Springer-Verlag, September 1994.Google Scholar
- 15.A. C. Leisenring. Mathematical Logic and Hilbert's ε-Symbol. Gordon and Breach, New York, 1969.Google Scholar
- 16.Carver Mead and Lynn Conway. Introduction to VLSI Systems, chapter 7. Addison-Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts, 1980.Google Scholar
- 17.Amir Pnueli. The temporal semantics of concurrent programs. In Gilles Kahn, editor, Semantics of Concurrent Computation, volume 70 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 1–20. Springer-Verlag, July 1979.Google Scholar