Memory management for Union-Find algorithms
We provide a general tool to improve the real time performance of a broad class of Union-Find algorithms. This is done by minimizing the random access memory that is used and thus to avoid the well-known von Neumann bottleneck of synchronizing CPU and memory. A main application to image segmentation algorithms is demonstrated where the real time performance is drastically improved.
KeywordsImage Segmentation Active Element Real Time Performance Random Access Memory Memory Management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.-, Volume segmentation of 3-dimensional images, Tech. Rep. 515/1996, Technische Universität Berlin, 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Gustedt, Efficient union-find for planar graphs and other sparse graph classes, in Graph-Theoretic Concepts in Computer Science, 22nd International Workshop WG '96, Ausiello et al., eds., Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, 1996, pp. 181–195. to appear.Google Scholar
- 6.J. A. La Poutré, New techniques for the union-find problem, in Proceedings of the first annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, A. Aggarwal et al., eds., Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), 1990, pp. 54–63.Google Scholar
- 7.K. Mehlhorn, Data Structures and Algorithms 1: Sorting and Searching, Springer, 1984.Google Scholar
- 8.K. Mehlhorn and A. Tsakalidis, Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science, vol. A, Algorithms and Complexity, Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., Amsterdam, 1990, ch. 6, Data Structures, pp. 301–314.Google Scholar
- 9.J. Muerle and D. Allen, Experimental evaluation of techniques for automatic segmentation of objects in a complex scene, in Pictorial Pattern Recognition, G. C. Cheng et al., eds., Thompson, Washington, 1968, pp. 3–13.Google Scholar
- 10.N. Robertson and P. Seymour, Graph minors I, excluding a forest, J. Combin. Theory Ser. B, 35 (1983), pp. 39–61.Google Scholar
- 11.R. E. Tarjan, Efficiency of a good but not linear set union algorithm, J. Assoc. Comput. Mach., 22 (1975), pp. 215–225.Google Scholar
- 14.M. J. van Kreveld and M. H. Overmars, Union-copy structures and dynamic segment trees, J. of the Association for Computing Machinery, 40 (1993), pp. 635–652.Google Scholar