Data integration using self-maintainable views
In this paper we define the concept of self-maintainable views — these are views that can be maintained using only the contents of the view and the database modifications, without accessing any of the underlying databases. We derive tight conditions under which several types of select-project-join are self-maintainable upon insertions, deletions and updates. Self-Maintainability is a desirable property for efficiently maintaining large views in applications where fast response and high availability are important. One example of such an environment is data warehousing wherein views are used for integrating data from multiple databases.
KeywordsData Warehousing Integrate View Derivation Tree Database Instance View Versus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BCL89]J. A. Blakeley, N. Coburn, and P. Larson. Updating Derived Relations: Detecting Irrelevant and Autonomously Computable Updates. ACM Transactions on Database Systems, 14(3):369–400, 1989.Google Scholar
- [BLT86]J. A. Blakeley, P. Larson, and F. W. Tompa. Efficiently Updating Materialized Views. SIGMOD 1986.Google Scholar
- [GJM94]A. Gupta, H. V. Jagadish, and I. S. Mumick. Data integration using self-maintainable views. Technical memorandum, AT&T Bell Laboratories, November 1994.Google Scholar
- [GM95]A. Gupta and I. S. Mumick. Maintenance of Materialized Views: Problems, Techniques, and Applications. In IEEE Data Engineering Bulletin, Special Issue on Materialized Views and Data Warehousing, 18(2), June 1995.Google Scholar
- [GMS93]A. Gupta, I. S. Mumick, and V. S. Subrahmanian. Maintaining Views Incrementally. In Proceedings of ACM SIGMOD 1993 International Conference on Management of Data, pages 157–167.Google Scholar
- [LMSS95]J. Lu, G. Moerkotte, J. Schu, and V. Subrahmanian. Efficient maintenance of materialized mediated views. In SIGMOD, 1995.Google Scholar
- [RSUV89]R. Ramakrishnan, Y. Sagiv, J. D. Ullman, and M. Vardi. Proof-tree Transformation Theorems and Their Applications. In PODS, 1989.Google Scholar
- [Z+94]Y. Zhuge, H.G arcia-Molina, J. Hammer, and J. Widom. View Maintenance in a Warehousing Environment. In SIGMOD 1995.Google Scholar