Derived Pairs, overlap closures, and rewrite dominoes: New tools for analyzing term rewriting systems
Starting from the seminal work of Knuth and Bendix, we develop several notions useful in the study of term rewriting systems. In particular we introduce the notions of “derived pairs” and “overlap closure” and show that they are useful in analyzing sets of rewrite rules for various properties related to termination. We also introduce a new representation, based on rewrite dominoes, for rewrite rules and sequences of rewrites.
KeywordsTransitive Closure Critical Pair Abstract Data Type Uniform Termination Major Cycle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- N. Dershowitz, “Termination of Linear Rewriting Systems — Preliminary Version,” in Automata, Languages, and Programming, Eighth Colloquium, Israel (Eds: S. Even and O. Kariv), LNCS 115, Springer Verlag, New York, 1981.Google Scholar
- J.A. Goguen and J. Tardo, “An Introduction to OBJ-T.”Proc. of Conf. on Specification of Reliable Software (1979).Google Scholar
- J.V. Guttag, D. Kapur, and D.R. Musser, On Proving Uniform Termination and Restricted Termination of Rewriting Systems, Report No. 81CRD272, G.E. C. Research and Development, Schenectady, New York, Nov. 1981.Google Scholar
- G. Huet, D.S. Lankford, “On the Uniform Halting Problem for Term Rewriting Systems,” Rapport Laboria 283, IRIA, March, 1978.Google Scholar
- G. Huet, D.C. Oppen, “Equations and Rewrite Rules: a Survey,” Formal Languages Perspectives and Open Problems (R. Book, ed.), Academic Press (1980).Google Scholar
- D.E. Knuth, P. Bendix, “Simple Word Problems in Universal Algebra.” Computational Problems in Abstract Algebra (J. Leech, ed.), Pergamon Press (1970), 263–297.Google Scholar
- G.E. Peterson and M.E. Stickel, Complete Sets of Reductions for Equational Theories With Complete Unification Algorithms, Tech. Report, Dept. of Computer Science, U. of Arizona, Tucson, Sept. 1977.Google Scholar
- A. Pettorossi, “Comparing and Putting Together Recursive Path Ordering, Simplification Orderings, And Non-Ascending Property for Termination Proofs of Term Rewriting Systems,” in Automata, Language, and Programming, Eighth Coll., Israel (Eds: S. Even and O. Kariv), LNCS115, Springer Verlag, New York, 1981.Google Scholar