Modeling and FEM-Based Simulations of Composite Membrane Based Circular Capacitive Pressure Sensor
In Micro-electro-mechanical Systems (MEMS) based pressure sensors and acoustic devices, deflection of a membrane is utilized for pressure or sound measurements. Due to advantages of capacitive pressure sensor over piezoresistive pressure sensors (low power consumption, less sensitive to temperature drift, higher dynamic range, and high sensitivity), capacitive pressure sensors are the second largest useable MEMS-based sensors after piezoresistive pressure sensors. We present a normal capacitive pressure sensor, for continuous sensing of normal and abnormal Intraocular Pressure (IOP). The composite membrane of the sensor is made of three materials, i.e., Si, SiO2, and Si3N4. The membrane deflection, capacitance variation, mechanical sensitivity, capacitive sensitivity, and nonlinearity are discussed in this work. Mathematical modeling is performed for analytical simulation, which is also compared with Finite Element Method (FEM) simulations. MATLAB® is used for analytical simulations and CoventorWare® is used for FEM simulations. The variation in the analytical result of deflection in membrane w.r.t. FEM result is about 7.19%, and for capacitance, the variation is about 2.7% at maximum pressure of 8 kPa. The nonlinearity is about 4.2492% for the proposed sensor for fabrication using surface micro-machining process.
KeywordsCircular composite membrane Capacitive pressure sensor Mathematical modeling FEM simulations
The authors acknowledge the Director, CSIR-CEERI, Pilani, Rajasthan for his guidance and support. We are also thankful for the valuable discussion with Dr. Ankush Jain (Scientist, Process Technologies Group) of CSIR-CEERI.
- 1.Fischer, A.C., Forsberg, F., Lapisa, M., Bleiker, S.J., Stemme, G., Roxhed, N., Niklaus, F.: Integrating MEMS and ICs. Microsyst. Nanoeng. Nat. (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.Mishra, R.B., Kumar, S.S., Mukhiya, R.: Design and simulation of capacitive pressure sensor for blood pressure sensing application. In: IC3E. University of Allahabad, India (2018)Google Scholar
- 3.Mishra, R.B., Kumar, S.S., Mukhiya, R.: Analytical modelling and FEM simulation of capacitive pressure sensor for intraocular pressure sensing. In: ICCRME, vol. 404, pp. 012026. IOP Conference Series: Material Science and Engineering, India (2018). https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899x/404/1/012026CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Mishra, R.B., Kumar, S.S.: Pre-stressed diaphragm based capacitive pressure sensor for blood pressure sensing application. In: IAC3T. University of Allahabad, India (2018)Google Scholar
- 5.Nie, M., Bao, H.Q.: A theoretical model and analysis of composite membrane of a piezoresistive pressure sensor. AIP Adv. (2016)Google Scholar