Dual-Band Modified U-Shaped Slot Antenna with Defected Ground Structure for S-Band Applications
In this article, design and investigation of a modified U-shaped slot antenna for dual-band applications is reported through simulation analysis and measured results. The proposed structure is designed using a single substrate. On one side of the substrate, first a rectangular patch is printed and then modified U-shaped slot is etched. On the other side of the substrate, a defected ground structure is created to enhance the gain. The antenna is simulated using HFSS software. To verify the simulated results, a prototype of the structure is fabricated using FR4 substrate. The proposed antenna exhibits dual-band characteristics. It has two resonant frequencies at 2.59 GHz and 3.76 GHz with return loss of 27.4 dB and 16.9 dB respectively. The difference in simulated and measured results are negligible. The proposed antenna can be used for dual-band applications in S-band (2–4 GHz).
KeywordsMicrostrip line feed Modified U-shaped slot Dual-band Single substrate S-band
- 1.Balanis, C.A.: Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design. Wiley & Sons (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Garg, R., Bhartia, P., Bahl, I., Ittipiboon, A.: Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook. Artech House (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.James, J.R., Hall, P.S.: Handbook of Microstrip Antennas. Peter Peregrines (1989)Google Scholar
- 11.Sofi, M.A., Saxena, J., Muzaffar, K.: Design and simulation of a novel dual band microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure for Wlan/Wimax. Int. J. Electron. Electr. Eng. 7(5), ISSN 0974-2174 (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Sang-Hyuk, W., et al.: Wideband microstrip patch antenna with U-shaped parasitic elements. IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. 55, 1196–1199 (2007)Google Scholar