Agricultural Credit and Insurance in Nepal: Coverage, Issues, and Opportunities
A majority of Nepalese population lives in rural areas and agriculture is their primary occupation. Growth in gross domestic product (GDP) and development of Nepalese economy mainly depend on growth and development of agriculture sector as most of the Nepalese industries are agriculture-based and export sector is dominated by commodities. The sector has an important role to increase farmer’s purchasing power. The sector has pivotal role to promote off-farm and on-farm employment opportunities as well as maintaining price stability.
- ADB and White Lotus Centre. (2016). Medium and large-scale investment in agriculture in Nepal opportunities, challenges and way forward. Kathmandu, Nepal.Google Scholar
- Central Bureau of Statistics. (2012). National sample census of agriculture, 2011/12. http://cbs.gov.np/image/data/Agriculture/National%20Level/NATIONAL%20REPORT%202011_12.pdf.
- Ghimire, R., & Kumar, P. (2014). Agricultural insurance products in Nepal. Varanasi: Banaras Hindu University.Google Scholar
- Gashayie, A., & Singh, M. (2015). Agricultural finance constraints and innovative models experience for Ethiopia: Empirical evidence from developing countries. www.iiste.org. http://www.iiste.org/Journals/index.php/RJFA/article/viewFile/21590/22438.
- Interim Report. (2015). Agriculture Sector Development Program Interim Report. ADB.Google Scholar
- Innovative Agricultural Finance Models, International Finance Corporation (2012, November). http://www.ifc.org/wps/wcm/connect/55301b804ebc5f379f86bf45b400a808/Innovative+Agricultural+SME+Finance+Models.pdf?MOD=AJPERES. (Apr. 2016).
- Ministry of Agriculture development. (2015). Nepal agricultural sector development strategies (2015–2035). Singhadarbar, Kathmandu, Nepal. http://www.dls.gov.np/uploads/files/ADS%20Final.pdf.
- Ministry of Finance. (2018a). Economic survey. Singhadarbar, Kathmandu, Nepal. https://www.mof.gov.np/uploads/document/file/for%20web_Economic%20Survey%202075%20Full%20Final%20for%20WEB%20_20180914091500.pdf.
- Ministry of Finance. (2018b). Budget Speech 2018/19. Singhadarbar, Kathmandu, Nepal. https://www.mof.gov.np/uploads/document/file/speech_english_20180715091522.pdf.
- Nepal Critical Development Constraints. (2009). Country diagnostic studies (pp. 78–79). http://www.adb.org/sites/default/files/publication/28933/main-report.pdf.
- Nepal Rastra Bank. (2018a). Statistics of banks and financial institutions in Nepal. Baluwatar, Kathmandu, Nepal. https://www.nrb.org.np/bfr/statistics/cms_pdf/Asar_2075.pdf.
- Nepal Rastra Bank. (2018b). Monetary Policy 2018/19. Baluwatar, Kathmandu, Nepal. https://www.nrb.org.np/ofg/monetary_policy/Monetary_Policy_(in_English)–2018–19_(Full_Text)-new.pdf.