Comparative Evaluation of Drilling on GFRP Made by Different Fabrication Techniques
Glass-fiber-reinforced plastics (GFRP) are used in engineering applications such as automotive, aerospace, and industrial applications due to their significant advantages over other materials. The optimization is done using Taguchi method and the influence of process parameters is analyzed using ANOVA analysis and the corresponding regression equations and graphs are plotted. Fabrication of GFRP is done by manual layup method and compression molding using glass fiber and epoxy resin. Acquire tools, drill bits (twisted carbide drill bit). Perform high-speed drilling on GFRP by varying spindle speed, feed, and drill bit diameter. Find thrust force and torque associated with drilling using kistler dynamometer. Analyze and compare delamination at the entry and exit for GFRP made by Manual Layup and compression molding. Analyze tool wear and matrix composition through SEM analysis. Optimize thrust force, torque, and delamination at the exit and entry using Taguchi design of experiment. Find optimal machining parameters for best quality drilled holes.
KeywordsManual layup Compression molding ANOVA Optimization
- 1.Ramachandra, A.: Delamination analysis in drilling process of glass fiber reinforced plastic (GFRP) composite materials. J. Mater. Process. Technol. 186, 265 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Kavialagan, R.: Experimental investigation and optimization in drilling GFRP polymeric composites using Taguchi and ANOVA. Int. J. Mech. Prod. Eng. 2, 52 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Raja, R., Chandramohan, G., Jannet, S., Alexander, D.: Delamination analysis in drilling of glass fiber reinforced plastics (GFRP) by special drill bits. Eur. J. Sci. Res. 83 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Mardi, N.A.: Applying ultrasonic vibration to decrease drilling-induced delamination in GFRP laminates. Seventeenth CIRP Conference on Electro Physical and Chemical Machining (ISEM). Procedia CIRP. vol. 6, p. 577 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Raja, R., Jannet, S.: Experimental investigation of high speed drilling of glass fiber reinforced plastic (GFRP) composite laminates made up of different polymer matrices, Int. J. Mech. Prod. Eng. Res. Dev. 7 (2017). https://doi.org/10.24247/ijmperddec201739