Idea of a University: Rethinking the Indian Private Universities Context
This paper explores the very idea of university with a specific focus in the context of Indian universities more specifically the private universities. The article is guided by some important questions – what is a university and what are the universities for? – in examining the historical and conceptual development of universities. This is followed by asking a more specific question – what are the Indian universities for? – in this the author will try to focus the overarching roles of public and private universities in India. Having examined the mission and functions of the public and private universities in India and taking into consideration some important components of universities such as ownership, sources of finance, the discipline or courses offered, autonomy in the universities, etc., the author will try to explore whether the Indian private universities are really addressing to the society the very idea of ‘what universities are meant to be’. This paper will have implications and contributions to frame our thinking about the future ideas of a university.
KeywordsIdea of a university Indian private universities Discipline Autonomy
- Altbach, P. G. (2011). Past, present and future of research university. Retrieved from http://re.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/files/research.pdf on 7 Feb 2017.
- Angom, S. (2013). A study of private universities in India, unpublished Research Report. New Delhi: NUEPA.Google Scholar
- Angom, S. (2015). Institutional autonomy in Indian private universities. University News; Special issue on Autonomy in Higher Education, 19 January 2015.Google Scholar
- Beteille, A. (2010). Universities in the twenty-first century, NUEPA Foundation Day lecture. New Delhi: NUEPA.Google Scholar
- Bhushan, S. (2016). Idea of a university. Unpublished Module prepared for short term course on University and Governance, NUEPA held at Punjab University, September 2016Google Scholar
- Cobban, A. B. (1992). Universities: 1100-1500. In Clark, R. B., & Neave, G. (Eds.), The encyclopedia of higher education (Vol. 2).Google Scholar
- Drake, A. J. (2001). Discourses on scope and nature of university education, by John Henry Newman 1852. Edited E Text, accessed from Internet.Google Scholar
- Ghosh, D. K. (1983). University system in India. Jabalpur: Rahul Publication.Google Scholar
- Government of India. (2013). The 12th five year plan document. New Delhi: Ministry of Human Resource Development.Google Scholar
- Government of India. (2017). Report on AISHE 2016-17. http://mhrd.gov.in/sites/upload_files/mhrd/files/statistics/AISHE2016-17.pdf. Retrieved as on January 11 2018.
- Gupta, A. (2008). Education in the 21st century. New Delhi: Shipra Publications.Google Scholar
- Habermas, J. (1971). Towards a rational society student protest, science and politics. London: Heinemann Educational Books.Google Scholar
- Kuh, G. D., & Hu, S. (2001). Learning productivity at research universities. J High Educ, 2(1). Accessed from http://www.jstore.org/stable/264913 as on 26 July 2016.
- Nageshwar, K. (2016). Whither the idea of a university. Accessed from http://www.thehansindia.com/posts/index/Candid-Comments/2016-12-14/Whither-the-idea-of-a-university/268658 as on 22 Aug 2017.
- UGC. (2009). List of private universities and important notice by UGC about them from http://www.aserf.org.in/docs/List%20Private%20Universities.pdf. Retrieved as on January 11 2018.
- UGC. (2017). Consolidated list of private universities as on 06/10/2017. https://www.ugc.ac.in/privatuniversity.aspx. Retrieved as on January 11 2018.
- Wan, C. D., Sirat, M., & Razak, D. A. (2015). The idea of a university: Rethinking the Malaysian context. Humanities. www.mdpi.com/journal/humanities
- Zangwill, O. L. (1965). Preface. In K. Deutsch (Ed.), The idea of the university (p. 1965). London: Pelern Owen.Google Scholar