A Survey on Flat Routing Protocols in Wireless Sensor Networks
The study of routing protocols in wireless sensor networks has been addressed to improve the usage of limited network resources. In this paper, we give in detailed survey of flat routing protocols (flooding, data centric and forwarding) based on network structure in wireless sensor networks, while providing the advantages and disadvantages of each routing protocol. By taking into account several parameters, some of routing protocols in this category will be compared. This paper also highlights the associated problem and application type designated for each protocol.
KeywordsWireless Sensor Network (WSN) Network structure Routing protocols Flat routing protocols
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kanavall, A., et al.: A flat routing protocol for sensor networks. In: Proceeding of International Conference on Methods and Models in Computer Science, Delhi, pp. 1–5 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Salman, H.M.: Survey of routing protocols in wireless sensor networks. International Journal of Sensors and Sensor Networks 2(1), 1–6 (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Kumar, A., Pahuja, S.: A Comparative Study of Flooding Protocol and Gossiping Protocol in WSN. Int. J. Computer Technology & Applications 5(2), 797–800 (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Heinzelman, W., Kulik, J., Balakrishnan, H.: Adaptive protocols for information dissemination in wireless sensor networks. In: MobiCom 1999 Proceedings of the 5th Annual ACM/IEEE International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, pp. 174–185 (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Intanagonwiwat, C., Govindan, R., Estrin, D.: Directed diffusion: a scalable and robust communication paradigm for sensor networks. In: 6 thACM/IEEE International Conf. on MobiCom, Boston, pp. 56–67. ACM (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Intanagonwiwat, C., Govindan, R., Estrin, D., Heidemann, J., Silva, F.: Directed Diffusion for WSN. IEEE/ACM 11, February 2003Google Scholar
- 11.Dargie, W., Poellabauer, C.: Fundamentals of Wireless Sensor Networks: Theory and Practice. John Wiley and Sons, Ltd. (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Xiaoqing, Z., Chunlin, L., Qiongfen, Q.: An Energy Efficient Directed Diffusion Model for Wireless Sensor Networks. IEEE Wireless Communications, 1–4 (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Braginsky, D., Estrin, D.: Rumor routing algorithm for sensor networks. In: The Proceedings of the First Workshop on Sensor Networks and Applications (WSNA), pp. 22–31 (2002)Google Scholar
- 14.Schurgers, C., Srivastava, M.B.: Energy efficient routing in wireless sensor networks. In: The MILCOM Proceedings on Communications for Network-Centric Operations: Creating the Information Force, McLean, VA, pp. 357–361 (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Powell, O., et al.: Gradient Based Routing in Wireless Sensor Networks: a Mixed Strategy, Arxiv preprint cs 051, pp. 10–13 (2005)Google Scholar
- 16.Miao, L., Djouani, K., Kurien, A., Noel, G.: Energy-efficient algorithm based on gradient based routing in wireless sensor networks. In: Proc. Southern Africa Telecommunication Networks and Applications Conference (SATNAC), Spier Estate, South Africa (2010)Google Scholar
- 18.Krishnamachari, B.: Networking wireless sensors: deployment & configuration, localization, synchronization, wireless characteristics, sleep-oriented MAC, efficient routing, data-centric concepts, congestion control. Cambridge University Press (2005)Google Scholar
- 20.Chang, W.Y.: Network-Centric Service Oriented Enterprise, pp. 167–177 Springer-Verlag, New York Inc. (2007)Google Scholar
- 21.Sadagopan, N., Krishnamachari, B., Helmy, A.: The ACQUIRE mechanism for efficient querying in sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the First IEEE International Workshop on Sensor Network Protocols and Applications (SNPA), Anchorage, AK, pp. 149–155, May 2003Google Scholar
- 22.Rajon, S.A.A., Rahman, M.M.: Energy Efficient Routing in Wireless Sensor Network. IJCIT 03(01), 12–19 (2012)Google Scholar
- 23.Biradar, R.V., et al.: Classification and Comparison of Routing Protocols in Wireless Sensor Networks. Special Issue on Computing Security Systems, UbiCC Journal 4, 704–711 (2009)Google Scholar
- 24.Garg, P., Rani, R.: A Survey on Wireless Sensor Networks Routing Algorithms. ICFTEM, 38–42 (2014)Google Scholar
- 25.Patel, G., Raj, N.M.: Routing Protocols to provide Quality of Service in Wireless Sensor Networks. International Journal of Research in Advent Technology 2(2), 201–209 (2014)Google Scholar
- 26.Abdullah, M., Ehsan, A.: Routing Protocols for Wireless Sensor Networks: Classifications and Challenges. Journal of Electronics and Communication Engineering Research 2(2), 05–15 (2014)Google Scholar
- 27.Tyagi, M.P., Jain, M.S.: Comparative Study of Routing Protocols in Wireless Sensor Network. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering 2(9), 134–140 (2012)Google Scholar
- 28.Krishnaveni, P., Sutha, J.: Analysis of routing protocols for wireless sensor networks. International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering (ijetae) 2(11), 401–407 (2012)Google Scholar
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.