Plurality in China’s South–South Cooperation: The Case of Rice Projects in Mali
In recent years, particularly since 2000, there has been much discussion regarding the acceleration of China’s presence in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). China’s increasing engagement with the countries of SSA, and larger South–South development partnerships, has had a ripple effect throughout communities of scholars and development practitioners. Surely, China’s role in South–South cooperation will continue to be of great importance throughout the twenty-first century. As the second largest economy in the world, the increasing international influence held by China, and its multifaceted engagement with other developing countries, gives cause to consider China’s role in relation to “traditional” international development actors. However, discussion has often remained in the realm of macroeconomics and state-to-state analysis, with less attention paid to the details of local- and sectoral-level activities. As such, the current analysis of China’s presence in SSA has too often been very broad, with little examination of the complexities and pluralities of this relationship with regard to entrenched international actors and third-party partnerships.
KeywordsChinese Firm International Rice Research Institute Development Assistance Committee Traditional Development Paris Declaration
- Alden, C., E. Sidiropolous. 2009. Africa-China-EU Cooperation in Africa prospects and pitfalls. The Nordik Africa Institute: Policy Papers [on-line]. www.nai.uu.se/publications/series/notes/PN-EU-0911.pdf. Accessed November 12, 2010.
- Anthony, R., and J. Hengkun. (2015). Forum: Security and engagement: The case of China and South Sudan. African East-Asian Affairs 4.Google Scholar
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF). 2010. [Website] www.gatesfoundation.org/.
- Bräutigam, D. 2009a. The dragon’s gift: The real story of China in Africa. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Broadman, H.G. 2007. Africa’s silk road: China and India’s new economic frontier. Washington DC: World Bank Publications [on-line]. http://www.siteresources.worldbank.org/INTAFROFFCHIECO/Resources/Africas_Silk_Road_09_24_06.pdf.
- China Daily. 2007. China pushes World Bank aid pledges to record high. China Daily [on-line]. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2007-12/15/content_6323874.htm, December 15.
- China Daily. 2009. China Wuyi says it ‘regrets’ World Bank ban [on-line]. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2009-01/22/content_7419998.htm, January 22.
- Coordinationa Nationale des Organisations Paysannes du Mali (CNOP). 2010. La Libye s’accapare de 100 000 hectares dans la zone Office du Niger [on-line]. http://www.cnop-mali.org/spip.php?article91.
- Copley, A., F. Maret-Rakotondrazaka, and A. Sy. 2014. The U.S.-Africa Leaders Summit: A focus on foreign direct investment. The Brookings Institution [on-line]. http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/africa-in-focus/posts/2014/07/11-foreign-direct-investment-us-africa-leaders-summit, July 11.
- Coulibaly, L., and B. Monjane. 2009. Libyan land grab of Mali’s rice producing land [on-line]. Via Campesina. http://www.viacampesina.org/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=785:libyan-land-grab-of-malis-rice-producing-land&catid=23:agrarian-reform&Itemid=36, September 11.
- Department for International Development (DFID). 2006. China’s interest and activity in Africa’s construction and infrastructure sectors [on-line]. Stellenbosch: Center for Chinese Studies at Stellenbosch University for Department for International Development. www.ccs.org.za/downloads/DFID%203rd%20Edition.pdf.
- Diakité, A. 2008. Office du Niger : Malibya s’installe pour améliorer la riziculture [on-line]. Maliweb http://www.maliweb.net/category.php?NID=37392, November 3.
- Dollar, D. 2008. Lessons from China for Africa. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 4531 [on-line]. http://www-wds.worldbank.org/external/default/WDSContentServer/WDSP/IB/2008/02/25/000158349_20080225161200/Rendered/PDF/wps4531.pdf.
- Embassy of the United States in Mali. 2010. Events 2010 [on-line]. http://mali.usembassy.gov/mali_us_cooperation.html.
- Fletcher, H. 2010. Development aid for infrastructure investment in Africa: Malian relations with China, the European Commission and the World Bank. South Africa Institute of International Affairs, Occasional Paper no. 58 [on-line]. http://www.saiia.org.za/images/stories/pubs/occasional_papers/saia_sop_58_fletcher_20100428.pdf.
- France, Agence Française Developpement. 2005. La filière riz au Mali: compétitivité et perspectives de marché. Paris: Département de la Recherche Agence Française Developpement.Google Scholar
- Global Edge. 2015. Trade statistics. Michigan State University [on-line]. http://www.globaledge.msu.edu/countries/mali/tradestats.
- GRAIN. 2008. Mali: A Libya-Chinese rice landgrab strikes a blow to local farmers [on-line]. http://www.grain.org/hybridrice/?lid=212, December 1.
- Green Super Rice (GSR). (2010). [Website] http://thegsr.org/.
- Guo, Q. 2010. Decade-old China-Africa Cooperation Forum yields abundant fruits [on-line]. Forum on China Africa Cooperation. http://www.focac.org/eng/zxxx/t779883.htm.
- He, W. 2007. The balancing act of China’s Africa Policy. China Security 3(3): 23–40.Google Scholar
- Information Office of the State Council, The People’s Republic of China. 2010. China-Africa economic and trade cooperation [on-line]. http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90001/90777/90855/7240532.html.
- Kaplinsky, R., D. McCormick, and M. Morris. 2007. The impact of China on Sub-Saharan Africa. University of Sussex: Institute of Development Studies. IDS Working paper 291 [on-line]. http://www.sarpn.org.za/documents/d0002953/China_Africa_IDS_Nov2007.pdf.
- Li, X. et. al. 2010. China’s aid to Africa is more about teaching to fish than giving a fish. FOCAC [on-line]. http://www.focac.org/eng/mtsy/t720692.htm, July 20.
- Luan, S. 2006. President Hu: Wide-ranging consensus reached during Beijing Summit [China Daily]. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2006-11/06/content_725744.htm, November 5.
- Manneh, B., and R. El. Namaky. 2010. GSR6-STRASA annual review and planning meeting report. Green Super Rice [on-line]. http://thegsr.org/index.php/publications/work-in-africa-and-asia/.
- Millennium Challenge Account (MCA) Mali. 2010a. [Website] http://www.mcamali.org/.
- Millennium Challenge Account (MCA) Mali. 2010b. TABLEAU DES CONTRATS SIGNES [on- line]. www.mcamali.org/IMG/pdf/Tableau_des_contrats_signes_HM_100810.pdf.
- Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC). 2010. [Website] http://www.mcc.gov/.
- Moyo, D. 2009. Dead aid: Why aid is not working and how there is a better way for Africa. Vancouver: Douglas & McIntyre.Google Scholar
- Muldavin, J. 2012. Land from the Tiller: China’s role in global processes of land dispossession. Presented at the global land grabbing II, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY: Land Deal Politics Initiative.Google Scholar
- People’s Daily. 2009. Backgrounder: China-Mali ties in continuous development [on-line]. http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90001/90776/90883/6590687.html, February 11.
- Sanogo, A. 2008. Theme: Les Relations Economiques de la Chine et du Mali. Kenya: Consortium Pour la Recherche Economique en Afrique [on-line]. www.aercafrica.org/documents/china_africa_relations/Mali.pdf.
- Stevenson, Michael. 2014. Agency through adaptation: Explaining the Rockefeller and Gates Foundation’s influence in the Governance of Global Health and Agricultural Development. Doctoral Dissertation, University of Waterloo.Google Scholar
- United States, Embassy of the United States of America—Bamoko, Mali. 2010. U.S.—Mali Cooperation: 100 billion FCFA to Develop Office du Niger [on-line]. http://mali.usembassy.gov/mali_us_cooperation.html.
- United States, United States Agency for International Development (USAID). 2009. Global food security response case study: Mali. Washington: United States Agency for International Development [draft].Google Scholar
- World Bank Group (WB). 2010. Projects and operations: Contract awards search [on-line]. http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/PROJECTS/0,,menuPK:51565~pagePK:95864~piPK:95915~theSitePK:40941,00.html.
- Xinhua. 2006. Beijing Summit adopts declaration, highlighting China-Africa strategic partnership [on-line]. http://english.focacsummit.org/2006-11/05/content_5166.htm, November 5.
- Xinhua. 2010. China’s voting power in World Bank ascends to third place. [on-line]. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/china/2010-04/26/c_13266890.htm, April 26.
- Xinhua. 2015. Africa Focus: China, Africa to deepen cooperation: Chinese envoy—Xinhua|English.news.cn. Retrieved April 10, 2015, from http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2015-03/19/c_134081747.htm, March 19.