Introduction: Sustainability of Sino-Canadian Partnership
The international role and prestige of China have undoubtedly changed since Canada established official diplomatic ties with the People’s Republic of China (PRC) in 1970. Since the late 1970s, it has undergone considerable economic growth, allowing it to become the second largest economic power in the world.
KeywordsForeign Policy Bilateral Relation Shanghai Cooperation Organization Chinese Youth Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank
- Canadian Visa Bureau. 2010, September 15. More Chinese to study in Canada under new government plan. Online at http://www.visabureau.com/canada/news/15-09-2010/more-chinese-to-study-in-canada-under-new-government-plan.aspx (consulted June 11, 2011).
- Cao, Huhua. 2009, August. “多元文化国政,族群平衡木” (National policy of multiculturalism: Ethnic balance beam). 南风窗 (NanFengChuang), 37–41.Google Scholar
- Cao, Huhua, and Sabrina Bergeron. 2010. Disparités régionales et inclusion des minorités: Les défis de la Chine de l’après Jeux Olympiques de Beijing (Regional disparity and minority inclusion: The challenges of China after Beijing 2008 olympic games). Québec: Presses de l’Université du Québec. 164.Google Scholar
- Cao, Huhua, and Vivienne Poy (eds.). 2011. The China challenge: Sino-Canadian relations in the 21st century. Ottawa: University of Ottawa Press. 294.Google Scholar
- Cheng, Dean. 2010, September 24. “China-Japan confrontation at sea: Senkaku Islands issue won’t go away.” The heritage foundation. Online at http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2010/09/china-japan-confrontation-at-sea-senkaku-islands-issue-wont-go-away (consulted June 15, 2011).
- Frolic, B. Michael. 2011. Canada and China: The China strategy of 1987. In The China challenge: Sino-Canadian relations in the 21st century, ed. Huhua Cao and Vivienne Poy, 47–65. Ottawa: University of Ottawa Press.Google Scholar
- Harvey, Rachel. 2011, June 13. “Vietnam in live-fire drill amid South China Sea row.” BBC News. Online at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13745587 (consulted June 14, 2011).
- Hunt K. 2015, June 1. “Island building in South China Sea ‘justified,’ says Chinese admiral.” CNN. Online at http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/01/asia/chinadefends-island-building/index.html.
- Kaplinsky, Raphael, Dorothy McCormick, and Mike Morris. 2008. China and Sub Saharan Africa: Impacts and challenges of a growing relationship. In SAIS working papers in African studies. Baltimore, MD: African Studies Program of the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies at The Johns Hopkins University. Online at http://www.sais-jhu.edu/academics/regionalstudies/africa/publications.htm (consulted January 14, 2011).
- Lieberthal, Kenneth G. 2004. Governing China: From revolution through reform, 2nd ed. New York, W.W: Norton. 528.Google Scholar
- Maplecroft. 2010, December 16. Human rights deteriorating in fastest growing economies of Pakistan, China, Russia, Colombia, Bangladesh, Nigeria and India: Human Rights Risk Atlas 2011. Maplecroft. Online at http://maplecroft.com/about/news/hrra.html (consulted June 15, 2011).
- Paltiel, Jeremy T. 2011. Reimagining Canada’s present and future in the shadow of the rise of China. In The China challenge: Sino-Canadian relations in the 21st century, ed. Huhua Cao, and Vivienne Poy, 268–279. Ottawa: University of Ottawa Press.Google Scholar
- Prime Minister’s Office (PMO). 2014, November 10. PM Wraps-up third official visit to China. Prime Minister of Canada: Stephen Harper. Online at http://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2014/11/10/pm-wraps-third-official-visit-china.
- Reuters. 2015, May 20. U.S. says South China Sea reclamations stoke instability. Reuters. Online at http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/20/us-southchinasea-usa-idUSKBN0O50VC20150520.
- Watts, Jonathan. 2011, May 30. Inner Mongolia protests prompt crackdown. Guardian UK. Online at http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/30/mongolia-protests-communist-party-crackdown (consulted June 15, 2011).
- Yajing, Xie. 2011, May 11. China-Africa Trade Is Witnessing New Development Opportunities. Forum on China-Africa cooperation. Online at http://www.focac.org/eng/jlydh/xzhd/t821563.htm (consulted June 12, 2011).
- Yang, Dali L. 2004. Remaking the Chinese Leviathan: Market transition and the politics governance in China. California: Stanford University Press. 432.Google Scholar
- Zhang, Kenny. 2010. Flows of people and the Canada-China relationship. Canadian international council. Online at http://www.asiapacific.ca/sites/default/files/filefield/China_Papers_10_0.pdf (consulted June 9, 2011).