SMART Textiles: The Use of Embedded Technology on Tactile Textiles as Therapy for the Elderly
This research project focuses on the therapeutic abilities of Tactile Textiles for the use of the elderly in Singapore as a form of touch therapy, especially for those with deteriorating senses. The main aim of the project is to use the technique of heat setting to form Tactile Textiles to stimulate the sense of touch. With the use of embedded technology, a series of textile-based cushions with tactile surfaces responding to the patient’s sense of touch and sight have been developed and tested by the elderly in an eldercare centre.
KeywordsHeat setting Three-dimensional textiles SMART embedded technology Deteriorating sense of touch Elderly
The author wishes to acknowledge the funding support for this project from Nanyang Technological University under the Tier 1 funding, Singapore Institute of Technology for the funding support of this conference and, last but not least, all the lovely aunties who have tested out the prototypes and Mr. Choo Jin Kiat, executive director of O’Joy Eldercare Centre.
- 1.V.L. Schmall, Sensory changes in later life (1991). Retrieved 22 Aug 2013, from http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/15925/PNW196-fromArchive.pdf?sequence=1
- 2.Design Goteborg, Technology as design material. Retrieved 22 Aug 2013, from https://dru.tii.se/reform/projects/itextile/pillow.html
- 3.M. Mcinaney, Pet-therapy project launched in geriatric psych unit (1997). Retrieved 22 Aug 2013, from http://news.stanford.edu/news/1997/august27/paws.html
- 4.S. Braddock, M. O’Mahony, Techno Textiles – Revolutionary Fabrics for Fashion and Design (Thames and Hudson, London, 1998)Google Scholar
- 5.S. Braddock, M. O’Mahony, Techno Textiles 2 – Revolutionary Fabrics for Fashion and Design (Thames and Hudson, London, 2005)Google Scholar
- 6.G.K. Stylios, Editorial: SMART textiles special issue. Trans. Inst. Meas. Control, 213–214 (2007). Academic Search Premier, EBSCOhost (Accessed October 26, 2013)Google Scholar
- 7.L.V. Langenhove, C. Hertleer, Smart clothing: a new life. Int. J. Cloth. Sci. Technol. 16(½), 63–72 (2004). Business Source Premier, EBSCOhost (Accessed October 27, 2013)Google Scholar
- 8.SEFAR PowerHeat, Retrieved 22 Aug 2013, from http://www.sefar.com/htm/609/en/SEFAR-PowerHeat.htm?Slider=Product+Features&Folder=1484711&pc3Scroll=0x499