History of Transforaminal Full-Endoscopic Lumbar Surgery
- 46 Downloads
Transforaminal approach was started as the technique of percutaneous discectomy by Hijikata in Japan. Hijikata’s method was minimally invasive; however, it could not remove the entire herniated mass in the spinal canal because he did not use the endoscope. From the later 1980s, a trial was started by Kambin, Schreiber and Leu to utilize an endoscope or arthroscope in the percutaneous discectomy technique. The current single-portal endoscopic discectomy was established by Anthony Yeung. Initially, the indication was only for the herniated nucleus pulposus. Nowadays, thanks to the development of the instruments and high-speed drill, the indication enlarged to the spinal canal stenosis. These full-endoscopic spinal surgeries can be done under local anesthesia with 8 mm skin incision. This must be the least invasive spine surgery.
KeywordsFull-endoscopic spine surgery Kambin triangle Local anesthesia Transforaminal approach
- 1.Hijikata S. A method of percutaneous nuclear extraction. J Toden Hosp. 1975;5:39.Google Scholar
- 3.Kambin P, Sampson S. Posterolateral percutaneous suction-excision of herniated lumbar intervertebral discs. Report of interim results. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1986;207:37–43.Google Scholar
- 4.Kambin P, Brager MD. Percutaneous posterolateral discectomy. Anatomy and mechanism. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1987;223:145–54.Google Scholar
- 17.Hofstetter CP, Choi G, Gibson JNA, Ruetten S, Zhou Y, Wagner R, Ahn Y, Lee JH, Sairyo K, Telfeian AE, Prada N, Shen J, Cortinas FC, Brooks NP, Van Daele P, Kotheeranurak V, Hasan S, Härtl R, Kim JS. AO consensus paper on nomenclature for working channel endoscopic spinal procedures. Global Spine J. 2020;10(2 Suppl):111S–121S. https://doi.org/10.1177/2192568219887364. Epub 2020 May 28.
- 18.Henmi T, Terai T, Hibino N, Yoshioka S, Kondo K, Goda Y, Tezuka F, Sairyo K. Percutaneous endoscopic lumbar discectomy utilizing ventral epiduroscopic observation technique and foraminoplasty for transligamentous extruded nucleus pulposus: technical note. J Neurosurg Spine. 2016;24(2):275–80.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Yoshinari H, Tezuka F, Yamashita K, Manabe H, Hayashi F, Ishihama Y, Sugiura K, Takata Y, Sakai T, Maeda T, Sairyo K. Transforaminal full-endoscopic lumbar discectomy under local anesthesia in awake and aware conditions: the inside-out and outside-in techniques. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2019;12:311–7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Yamashita K, Higashino K, Sakai T, Takata Y, Hayashi F, Tezuka F, Morimoto M, Chikawa T, Nagamachi A, Sairyo K. Percutaneous full endoscopic lumbar foraminoplasty for adjacent level foraminalstenosis following vertebral intersegmental fusion in an awake and aware patient under local anesthesia: a case report. J Med Invest. 2017;64(3.4):291–5.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Yeung A, Gore S. Endoscopic foraminal decompression for failed back surgery syndrome under local anesthesia. Int J Spine Surg. 2014;8 https://doi.org/10.14444/1022. eCollection 2014.
- 23.Sairyo K, Higashino K, Yamashita K, Hayashi F, Wada K, Sakai T, Takata Y, Tezuka F, Morimoto M, Terai T, Chikawa T, Yonezu H, Nagamachi A, Fukui Y. A new concept of transforaminal ventral facetectomy including simultaneous decompression of foraminal and lateral recess stenosis: technical considerations in a fresh cadaver model and a literature review. J Med Invest. 2017;64(1.2):1–6.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Nakajima D, Yamashita K, Tezuka F, Manabe H, Ishihama Y, Sugiura K, Takata Y, Sakai T, Maeda T, Sairyo K. Successful percutaneous endoscopic decompression surgery under the local anesthesia for L5 radiculopathy caused by L5-S1 foraminal stenosis and L4-5 lateral recess stenosis: a case report. J Med Investig. 2020;67(1.2):192–6.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Sugiura K, Yamashita K, Manabe H, Ishihama Y, Tezuka F, Takata Y, Sakai T, Maeda T, Sairyo K. Prompt return to work after bilateral transforaminal full-endoscopic lateral recess decompression under local anesthesia: a case report. J Neurol Surg A. 2020. in press.Google Scholar