Quantifying Uncertainty in Structural Responses of Polymer Sandwich Composites: A Comparative Analysis of Neural Networks
- 97 Downloads
The manufacturing and fabrication of complex polymer sandwich composite plates involve various processes and parameters, and the lack of control over them causes uncertain system parameters. It is essential to consider randomness in varying parameters to analyse polymer sandwich composite plates. The present study portrays uncertainty quantification in structural responses (such as natural frequencies) of polymer sandwich composite plates using the surrogate model. The comparative study of artificial neural network (ANN) and polynomial neural network (PNN) for uncertain structural responses of the sandwich plate is presented. The proposed ANN as well as PNN algorithm is found to be convergent with intensive Monte Carlo simulation (MCS) for uncertain vibration responses. The predictability of PNN is observed to be more efficient than that of ANN. Typical material properties, skew angle, fibre orientation angle, number of laminate and core thickness are randomly varied to quantify the uncertainties. The use of both the surrogate models (PNN and ANN) results in a significant saving of computational time and cost compared to that of full-scale intensive finite element-based MCS approach.
KeywordsPolymer sandwich plate Artificial neural network Polynomial neural network Monte carlo simulation Randomness
The first author would like to acknowledge the financial support received from MHRD, Government of India during this research work.
- 13.Mukhopadhyay T, A multivariate adaptive regression splines based damage identification methodology for web core composite bridges including the effect of noise. J Sandwich Struct Mater. https://doi.org/10.1177/1099636216682533
- 15.Kumar RR, Karsh PK, Vaishali Pandey KM, Dey S (2019) Stochastic natural frequency analysis of skewed sandwich plates. Eng Computations. https://doi.org/10.1108/EC-01-2019-0034
- 21.Mukhopadhyay T, Mahata A, Adhikari S, Asle Zaeem M (2017) Effective elastic properties of two dimensional multiplanar hexagonal nano-structures, 2D Materials, 4:025006Google Scholar
- 22.Mahata A, Mukhopadhyay T, Probing the chirality-dependent elastic properties and crack propagation behavior of single and bilayer stanine. Phys Chem Chem Phys. https://doi.org/10.1039/C8CP03892A
- 23.Mukhopadhyay T, Adhikari S, Batou A, Frequency domain homogenization for the viscoelastic properties of spatially correlated quasi-periodic lattices. Int J Mech Sci. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2017.09.004
- 24.Kumar RR, Mukhopadhyay T, Naskar S, Pandey KM, Dey S (2019) Stochastic low-velocity impact analysis of sandwich plates including the effects of obliqueness and twist. Thin-Walled Struct 145:106411Google Scholar
- 29.Dey S, Mukhopadhyay T, Naskar S, Dey TK, Chalak HD, Adhikari S, Probabilistic characterisation for dynamics and stability of laminated soft core sandwich plates. J Sandwich Struct Mater. https://doi.org/10.1177/1099636217694229