Long-Distance Damage Detection In Situ Using Magnetostriction Materials
Long-distance and large-area damage detection is always regarded as a difficulty in practical engineering application, especially for traditional nondestructive testing (NDT) methods. However, since the advent of ultrasonic guided wave (UGW), it becomes hopeful because of its property of propagating along the waveguide like a long-distance pipeline. In this study, together with pure torsional mode T(0,1) excited by magnetostriction (Ms) material, the annular sensor placement, sinusoidal signal modulated by Hanning window and characteristic frequency range considering attenuation are all selected to increase the propagation distance and improve signal to noise ratio (SNR). By various optimization designs, the damage detection distance in a steel pipeline can reach up to 100 m with strong reflection echoes, which is significant to fast perform damage detection of large structures and infrastructures like bridge deck, fan blade, gas pipeline, etc.
KeywordsUGW Damage detection Torsional mode Ms effect Long-distance pipeline
The research was supported by the National Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 51275517).
- 2.He, C., Zheng, M., Lv, Y.: Development, applications and challenges in ultrasonic guided waves testing technology. Chin. J. Sci. Instrum. 37(8), 1713–1735 (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.GB/T28704–2012: Non-destructive Testing Magnetostrictive Ultrasonic Guided Wave Detection Method. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 9.Liang, H., Deng, C., Kang, L.: Research on detection of small defects of aluminum plates based on electromagnetic ultrasonic lamb wave. Instrum. Tech. Sens. (9), 45–49 (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.Cheong, Y.M., Kim, S., Jung, H.K.: Effect of an alternating excitation and the applicability of a magnetostrictive transducer for a long-range guided wave inspection. In: Proceedings of 2006 Asia-Pacific Conference on NDT, pp. 101–105 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Xu, J., Zhang, Y.F., Wu, X.J., et al.: Research on one direction receiving method on guided waves based on magnetostrictive effect. In: 2015 International Conference on Mechatronic, Electronic, Industrial and Control Engineering (MEIC-15). Atlantis Press (2015)Google Scholar