Public Opinion on Death Penalty
- 14 Downloads
Michael Foucault, one of the greatest philosophers of the twentieth century, talked about the disappearance of punishment as a public spectacle in Chap. 1 of his book Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison (1975).
- American Bar Association Poll of the Criminal Justice System. (1999). Retrieved from http://www.abanet.org/media/perception/perceptions.pdf.
- Australian Human Rights Commission. United Nations Association of Australia. (2006). The death penalty—A matter of principle. Retrieved from https://www.humanrights.gov.au/news/speeches/death-penalty-matter-principle#endnote1.
- Bandes, S. (2004). Fear factor: The role of media in covering and shaping the death penalty. Ohio State Journal of Criminal Law, 1, 585–597.Google Scholar
- Barkan, S., & Cohn, S. (2005). Why whites favor spending more money to fight crime: The role of racial prejudice. Social Problems, 52(2), 300–314.Google Scholar
- Beale, S. (2006). The news media’s influence on criminal justice policy: How market driven news promotes punitiveness. William and Mary Law Review, 48, 397–481.Google Scholar
- Blok, Z., & Suter C. (2017). Triggers for abolition of the death penalty in Africa: A Southern African perspective (pp. 10–32). International Federation on Human Rights, The Botswana Centre for Human Rights.Google Scholar
- Chenwi, L. (2005). Towards the abolition of the death penalty in Africa: A human rights perspective (pp. 120–140). University of Pretoria.Google Scholar
- Choudhri, S., & Hiremath, V. (n.d.). Public opinion on death penalty: An emperical study in Belagavi City, Karnataka India. International Journal of Social Legal Analysis and Rural Development, 3(2), 48–52.Google Scholar
- Cornell Centre on Death Penalty Worldwide. (2014). Death penalty database. Cornell Law School. Retrieved from http://www.deathpenaltyworldwide.org/country-search-post.cfm?country=united+states+of+america.
- Dugger, A. (n.d.). What is public opinion? Retrieved from https://study.com/academy/lesson/what-is-public-opinion.html.
- Foucault, M. (1975). Discipline and punish: The birth of the prison (pp. 3–20). New York: Pantheon Books.Google Scholar
- Freeman, S. (2016). Original position. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Winter 2016 Edition). Retrieved from https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/original-position/.
- Gallup Poll. (2017). Death penalty. Retrieved from http://news.gallup.com/poll/1606/death-penalty.aspx.
- Goodsir, D. (2003). Tracing a killer smile. The Age. Retrieved from https://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/08/05/1059849389919.html.
- Hood, R. (2013). The death penalty in Malaysia: Public opinion on the mandatory death penalty for drug trafficking murder and firearms offences. Centre for Criminology. University of Oxford. London: The Death Penalty Project, pp. 1–41.Google Scholar
- Hood, R & Seemungal, F. (2011). Public opinion on the mandatory death penalty in Trinidad. A Report for the Death Penalty Project and the Rights Advocacy Project of the University of the West Indies Faculty of Law, pp. 1–5.Google Scholar
- Human Sciences Research Council. (1996). Rights or Wrongs: Public Attitudes Towards Moral Values. HSRC Review, 2(3), 4–5. Retrieved from http://www.hsrc.ac.za/uploads/pageContent/1607/Rights%20or%20Wrongs.pdf.
- Hummer, L. (2014). I witnessed Ohio’s execution of Dennis McGuire: What I saw was inhumane. The Guardian. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/22/ohio-mcguire-execution-untested-lethal-injection-inhumane.
- United Nations. Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment. (2014). Retrieved from https://legal.un.org/avl/pdf/ha/catcidtp/catcidtp_e.pdf.
- Jha, N. (2015). Constitutionality of media trials: A detailed analysis. Academike. Retrieved from https://www.lawctopus.com/academike/media-trials-india/.
- Jha, J. (2017). The death penalty in South Asia. The Diplomat. Retrieved from https://thediplomat.com/2017/05/the-death-penalty-in-south-asia/.
- Kelley, J., & Braithwaite, J. (1990). Public opinion and the death penalty in Australia. Justice Quarterly, Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences, 7(3), 538–553.Google Scholar
- Kentish, B. (2017). Half of leave voters want to bring back the death penalty after Brexit. Independent. Retrieved from https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-poll-leave-voters-death-penalty-yougov-results-light-bulbs-a7656791.html.
- Lane, J. (2015). Capital punishment: Where and why it’s practiced in Asia. Asian Correspondent. Retrieved from https://asiancorrespondent.com/2015/04/capital-punishment-where-and-why-its-practiced-in-asia/#E5oTe6q4XQ2ZR3PE.97.
- Live Law Research Team. (2016). Public opinion towards death penalty. Live Law. Retrieved from http://www.livelaw.in/public-opinion-towards-death-penalty/.
- Maanvi. (2017). Where’s the Juvenile in the Nirbhaya Case? A Cook at a Dhaba & Unaware. The Quint. Retrieved from https://www.thequint.com/voices/fighting-rape/four-yrs-post-nirbhaya-juvenile-accused-is-a-cook-at-a-dhaba-december-2012-jyoti-singh-damini-sexual-assault-gang.
- Mana. (2016). The amazing escape from hangman’s noose. The Times Group. Retrieved from http://www.times.mw/the-amazing-escape-from-hangmans-noose/.
- Markowitz, M., & Harver, W. (2003). Public sentiment on the death penalty: Do race, gender, age, & state of mind matter? National Social Science Journal, 21(1).Google Scholar
- Muir, C. (2017). Goodbye, my darlings’-remembering the trauma of Australia’s last execution. The Guardian. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/04/goodbye-my-darlings-remembering-the-trauma-of-australias-last-execution.
- N.A. (2006). PM happy over death penalty stance. The Age. Retrieved from https://www.theage.com.au/news/National/PM-happy-over-death-penalty-stance/2006/09/15/1157827138953.html.
- N.A. (2013). Crime and punishment. Public perception, judgment and opinion. Penal Reform International. Satio Group of Companies, Department of Sociological and Marketing Research. Retrieved from https://s16889.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Belarus-public-opinion-survey-English-for-publication1.pdf.
- N.A. (2015). India’s history of capital punishment in the last decade. India Today. Retrieved from https://www.indiatoday.in/education-today/gk-current-affairs/story/indias-history-of-capital-punishment-in-the-last-decade-285526-2015-07-30.
- N.A. (2017a). Death penalty fast facts. CNN Library. Retrieved from https://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/19/us/death-penalty-fast-facts/index.html.
- N.A. (2017b). Death penalties in Asia. The Nation. Retrieved from http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/aec/30313732.
- N.A. (2017c). EU local statement on abolition of the death penalty. Delegation of the European Union to the Council of Europe. Retrieved from https://eeas.europa.eu/delegations/council-europe/34161/eu-local-statement-abolition-death-penalty_en.
- N.A. (n.d.) Death Penalty Information Centre. International polls and studies. Retrieved from https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/international-polls-and-studies.
- N.A. (n.d.). Death Penalty Information Centre. United Kingdom Marks 50th Anniversary of Death Penalty Abolition. Retrieved from https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/node/6296.
- Pearse, E. & (2001). Media effects and society (pp. 200–320). Taylor and Francis Group, New York.Google Scholar
- Rawls, J. (1971). A theory of justice (pp. 632–643). Cambridge, MA: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Smith, O. (2018). Mapped: The 53 places that still have the death penalty-including Japan. The Telegraph. Retrieved from https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/countries-that-still-have-the-death-penalty/.
- Stern, J. (2015). The cruel and unusual execution of clayton lockett. The Atlantic. Retrieved from https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/06/execution-clayton-lockett/392069/.
- Strange, C. (2018). The anniversary of Steven Truscott’s death sentence: From guilt to innocence. The Conversation. Retrieved from http://theconversation.com/the-anniversary-of-steven-truscotts-death-sentence-from-guilt-to-innocence-103671.
- Study on the Question of the Death Penalty in Africa, Submitted by the Working Group on the Death Penalty in Africa in accordance with Resolution ACHPR/Res.79 (XXXVIII) 05, Adopted by The African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights at its 50th Ordinary Session (24 October–07 November 2011) Banjul, The Gambia.Google Scholar
- Tagusari, M. (2010). Death penalty in Japan. East Asian Law Journal, 1 (2), 93–106.Google Scholar
- Tankebe, J., & Boakye, K. (2016). A pioneering study of public opinion on death penalty in Ghana suggests unpopularity of the death penalty as punishment for crime. Death Penalty Worldwide. Cornell Law School. Retrieved from http://blog.deathpenaltyworldwide.org/2016/02/a-pioneering-study-of-public-opinion-on-the-death-penalty-in-ghana-suggests-the-unpopularity-of-the-.html.
- Tankebe, J., Boakye, K., & Atupare, A. (2015). Public opinion on the death penalty in Ghana. Centre for Criminology and Criminal Justice, 35–40.Google Scholar
- Tyler, T., & Weber, R. (1982). Support for the death penalty; instrumental response to crime or symbolic attitude? Law and Society Review, 17(1), 21–46.Google Scholar
- Unnever, J., & Cullen, F. (2005). Executing the innocent and support for capital punishment: Implications for public policy. Criminology and Public Policy, 4(1), 3–37.Google Scholar
- Vito, G. F., & Keil, T. J. (1998). Elements of support for the capital punishment: An examination of changing attitudes. Journal of Crime and Justice, 21(2), 17–36.Google Scholar
- Voeten, E. (2013). How the Supreme Court responds to public opinion. Washington Monthly. Retrieved from https://washingtonmonthly.com/2013/06/28/how-the-supreme-court-responds-to-public-opinion/.
- Vollum, S., & Buffington-Vollum, J. (2010). An examination of social-psychological factors and support for the death penalty: Attribution, moral disengagement, and the value-expressive function of attitudes. American Journal of Criminal Justice, 35(1–2), 15–36.Google Scholar
- York, B. (2017). Capital punishment in Australia. National Library of Australia. Retrieved from https://www.nla.gov.au/unbound/capital-punishment-in-australia.
- YouGov Survey. (2015). Poll results: Death penalty. Retrieved from https://today.yougov.com/news/2015/07/07/poll-results-death-penalty/.
- Zhang, L. (2014). China’s death penalty debate. The New York Times. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/30/opinion/chinas-death-penalty-debate.html.
- Zilala, C. (2013). A big step closer to abolishing the death penalty in Zimbabwe. Amnesty International. Retrieved from https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/campaigns/2013/11/a-big-step-closer-to-abolishing-the-death-penalty-in-zimbabwe/.
- Zimring, F., & Johnson, D. (2012). Public opinion and death penalty reform in the People’s Republic of China. City University of Hong Kong Law Review, 3(2), 189–196.Google Scholar
- Zitrin, E. (2015) The African continent on the road to the abolition of death penalty. Retrieved from http://www.fiacat.org/opinion-piece-the-african-continent-on-the-road-to-the-abolition-of-the-death-penalty.
- Zlotnick, M. (1996). The death penalty and the public opinion. South African Journal on Human Rights, 70–79.Google Scholar
© Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd. 2020