Distributed Optical Fiber Sensing System Performance Improvement Using Signal Processing Techniques
Distributed optical fiber sensing (DOFS) system plays a major role in modern day’s applications such as in biomedical engineering, structural health monitoring, high power cable monitoring, fire detection, defense and military, and aviation industries. Brillouin optical time-domain reflectometry-based distributed temperature sensing (BOTDR-DTS) system is a type of DOFS system and highly useful for the above identified applications. In order to improve the performance of BOTDR-based DTS system, we have proposed two different signal processing techniques, such as empirical mode decomposition (EMD) and lifting wavelet transform-optimum modified differential threshold (LWT-OMDT). By these proposed signal processing techniques, we have achieved an average temperature resolution of ~1.14 °C and ~ 0.80 °C, respectively, over a sensing range of 50 km for an input optical launch power of 10 mW. The results are simulated using MATLAB 15.0 platform.
KeywordsDistributed optical fiber sensing (DOFS) Distributed temperature sensing (DTS) Brillouin optical time-domain reflectometry (BOTDR) Empirical mode decomposition (EMD) Lifting wavelet transform (LWT)
This work was carried out in the FIST supported optical engineering laboratory of School of Electrical Sciences (SES), Indian Institute of Technology Bhubaneswar.
- 3.Hayashi N, Mizuno Y, Nakamura K (2014) Distributed Brillouin sensing with centimeter-order spatial resolution in Polymer optical fibers. J Lightw Technol 32:399–4003Google Scholar
- 4.Lombera RR, Minardo A, Bernini R, Mirapeix J, Higuera JML, Zeni L (2017) Experimental demonstration of a Brillouin optical frequency-domain reflectometry (BOFDR) sensor. In: Proceedings of the SPIE International conference on optical fiber sensors (SPIE OFS ‘25), pp 1–4Google Scholar
- 5.Li Z, Yan L, Shao L, Pan W, Luo B, Liang J, He H (2016) Coherent BOTDA sensor with single- sideband modulated probe light. J Photon 8:13804–13810Google Scholar
- 7.Minard OA, Bernini R, Zeni L (2014) Distributed temperature sensing in polymer optical fiber by BOFDA. Photon Technol Lett 26:387–390Google Scholar
- 10.Taki M, Soto MA, Pasquale FD, Bolognini G (2011) Long-range BOTDA sensing using optical pulse coding and single source bi-directional distributed Raman amplification. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Sens (IEEE Sensors ‘10). 6127160 (2011) 382–385Google Scholar
- 12.Bao X, Zou L, Yu Q, Chen L (2005) Development and applications of the distributed temperature and strain sensors based on Brillouin scattering. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Sens. (IEEE Sensors ‘04) 1210–1213Google Scholar
- 18.Maheshwari S, Kumar A (2014) Empirical mode decomposition: theory and applications. J Electron and Elect Eng 7:873–878Google Scholar