Embedded Entropy-Based Registration of CT and MR Images
In this paper, a novel approach has been developed for registration of noisy MR images with CT images. Noisy MR image is considered as floating image and CT image as the reference image. Here, the structural information of the images has been presented for both the images. The structural representation of the images has been computed by embedding Arimoto entropy and Tsallis entropy. MR image is the noisy one, and hence, Gaussian kernel filter is applied to estimate the pixel for structural representation. These structural images are considered for image registration. The joint histogram of structural images has been computed and then is used to compute mutual information (MI) which is considered as the similarity metric for registration framework. Our proposed method has been analyzed for different noise (SNR) conditions and also with other methods from literature.
KeywordsMutual information Image registration Embedded entropy
- 1.Maes F, Vandermeulen D, Suetens P (1997) Medical image registration using mutual information. IEEE Trans Med Imaging 16(2):187–198Google Scholar
- 2.Chen H, Varshney PK (2003) Mutual information-based CT-MR brain image registration using generalized partial volume joint histogram estimation. IEEE Trans Med Imaging 22(9):1111–1119Google Scholar
- 3.Li J, Cong R, Jin L, Wei P (2008) A medical image registration method based on weighted mutual information. In: 2nd International conference on bioinformatics and biomedical engineering, Shanghai, pp 2549–2552Google Scholar
- 7.Li B, Yang G, Shu H, Coatrieux JL (2014) A new divergence measure based on Arimoto entropy for medical image registration. In: 22nd International conference on pattern recognition, Stockholm, pp 3197–3202Google Scholar
- 11.Viola P, Wells III WM (1997) Alignment by maximization of mutual information. Int j comput vis 24(2):137–154Google Scholar