The Ultimate European Border: The Belt and Road Initiative Discovers Portugal
- 33 Downloads
This chapter argues that the Belt and Road Initiative (B&RI) makes a positive contribution to the implementation of the ‘de-bordering concept’ between China and European Union. Three central concepts of de-bordering, re-bordering and co-bordering are used as a starting point to argue that B&RI makes an unequivocal contribution to de-border the Sino-Portuguese boundaries. Furthermore, in this context, Portugal seems to be the ultimate border within the B&RI, bridging two non-contiguous intercontinental borders. In a context of hybrid and holistic borders, Portugal can play an unprecedented role in the Silk Road Economic Belt, as well as in the 21st Maritime Silk Road, while enabling China to maintain a strong presence within European borders.
KeywordsDe-bordering, co-bordering and re-bordering China Portugal Belt and Road Initiative
- BBC. (2018). Retrieved on December 19 from https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46386867.
- Cancham News. (2018). Retrieved on December 19 from https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46386867.
- Castells, M. (2000). The Rise of the Network Society. Oxford: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- CBS News. (2017). Retrieved on June 18 from https://www.cbsnews.com/news/azores-withdrawal-gives-china-foothold-between-us-europe/.
- Chauprade, A. (2003). Géopolitique: Constantes et Changements dans l’histoire, 2nd Edition. Paris: Ellipses.Google Scholar
- China’s Arctic Policy Paper. (2018). Retrieved on June 17 from http://english.gov.cn/archive/white_paper/2018/01/26/content_281476026660336.htm.
- CNN. (2018). Retrieved on November 17 from https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/19/asia/korea-family-reunions-intl/index.html.
- Colin, S. (2015). Swinging Borders. In Valérie Gelézeau, Koen De Ceuster, and Alain Delissen (Eds.), De-bordering Korea—Tangible and Intangible Legacies of the Sunshine Policy. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Delissen, A. (2015). De-bordering Korea—Tangible and Intangible Legacies of the Sunshine Policy. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Duarte, P. (2017). Pax Sinica. Lisbon: Chiado Editora.Google Scholar
- Duarte, P. (2018). Conclusion: The One Belt One Road in the Politics of Fear and Hope. Conclusion written by Paulo Duarte and Li Xing. pp. 279–289. In Li Xing (Ed.), Mapping China’s ‘One Belt One Road’ Initiative. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Duarte, P. (2019a). A Faixa e Rota e o Caráter Cíclico da História, pp. 56–57. In Janus 2018–19. A Dimensão Externa da Segurança Interna. Lisboa: Observare-Universidade Autónoma de Lisboa.Google Scholar
- Duarte, P. (2019b). Whose Silk Road? The Chinese, US, European Union and Russian Strategic Projects for Regional Integration in Central Asia, pp. 38–49. In C. Mendes (Ed.), The New Silk Road in the Context of East Asian Relations and Wider International Implications. Routledge.Google Scholar
- Duarte, P. (2019c). Portugal na Faixa e Rota: Oportunidades e Desafios, pp. 58–59. In Janus 2018–19. A Dimensão Externa da Segurança Interna. Lisboa: Observare-Universidade Autónoma de Lisboa.Google Scholar
- European Union Commission. (2018). Retrieved on November 17 from http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-85-38_en.htm.
- Gelézeau, V. (2015). Life on the Lines—People and Places of the Korean Border. In Valérie Gelézeau, Koen De Ceuster, and Alain Delissen (Eds.), De-bordering Korea—Tangible and Intangible Legacies of the Sunshine Policy. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Johnson, D. E., and Michaelsen, S. (1997). The Limits of Cultural Politics. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Leandro, F. (2018). Steps of Greatness: The Geopolitics of OBOR. Macau, China: University of Macau and Macau Institute of European Studies.Google Scholar
- Le Corre, P. (2018). A era dourada da China em Portugal. Retrieved on June 17 from https://www.publico.pt/2018/12/04/economia/opiniao/dourada-china-portugal-1852751.
- Lugo, A. (1997). Reflections on Border Theory, Culture, and the Nation. In D. E. Johnson and S. Michaelsen (Eds.), The Limits of Cultural Politics. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- MacCall, C. (2012). Debordering and Rebordering the United Kingdom. In T. Wilson and H. Donnan (Eds.), A Companion Border Studies. Hoboken: Wiley-Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Marcu, S. (2015). Boletín de la Asociación de Geógrafos Españoles n.º 69, 211–232.Google Scholar
- The Pan-Asia Railway Network. (2018). Retrieved on December 19 from https://photos.nomadicnotes.com/img/s7/v163/p368258383.png.
- Ulc, O. (1996). Czechoslovakiaʼs Velvet Divorce. East European Quarterly, 30(3): 331–352.Google Scholar
- World Bank. (2018). Retrieved on November 17, 2018 from https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/regional-integration/brief/belt-and-road-initiative.