Treatment of Cardiac Autonomic Neuropathy
- 67 Downloads
The treatment of cardiac autonomic neuropathy can be divided into controlling the abnormalities at the molecular cellular level or mitigating the extent of clinical aberrations induced by cardiac autonomic neuropathy by drugs and other measures. Controlling the pathophysiological/molecular abnormalities is necessary since these can, over a period of time, worsen and then accentuate the end organ damage leading to more complications, additional and expensive treatments, disastrous economic effects, or deterioration in quality of life, which are by no means less important. Today, there are many safe and effective medicines available. However, for maximum beneficial effects, knowledge of these and even more importantly that of cardiac tissue physiology and structural changes is necessary. This chapter explains these aspects.
- 1.Ziegler D, Schatz H, Conrad F, Gries FA, Ulrich H, Reichel G. Effects of treatment with the antioxidant on cardiac autonomic neuropathy in NIDDM patients: a 4-month randomized controlled multicenter trial, Deutsche Kardiale Autonome Neuropathie. Diabetes Care. 1997;20(3):369–73. [PMID: 9051389]. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.20.3.369.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.PS Bidwai, Prof Cardiology, PGI Chandigarh, personal communication, 1996.Google Scholar
- 11.Baruch L, Anand I, Cohen IS, Ziesche S, Judd D, Cohn JN. Augmented short- and long-term hemodynamic and hormonal effects of an angiotensin receptor blocker added to angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor therapy in patients with heart failure in type I diabetic patients with abnormal albuminuria. Circulation. 1999;99(20):2658–64.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Hermida RC, Ayala DE, Smolensky MH, Fernández JR, Mojón A, Portaluppi F. Sleep-time blood pressure: Unique sensitive prognostic marker of vascular risk and therapeutic target for prevention. Sleep Med Rev. 2017;33:17–27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smrv.2016.04.001. Epub 2016 Apr 14.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Alberto Verrotti, Giovanni Prezioso, Raffaella Scattoni and Francesco Chiarelli Autonomic neuropathy in diabetes mellitus, www.frontiersin.org December 2014 |Volume 5 | Article 205.
- 20.Korkmaz ME, Müderrisoğlu H, Uluçam M, Ozin B, Dimitropoulos G. Effects of spironolactone on heart rate variability and left ventricular systolic function in severe ischemic heart failure. Am J Cardiol. 2000;86:649–53. [PMID: 10980217]. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9149(00)01046-8.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Anagnostis P, Athyros VG, Adamidou F, Panagiotou A, Kita M, Karagiannis A, Mikhailidis DP. Glucagon-like peptide-1- based therapies and cardiovascular disease: looking beyond glycaemic control. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2011;13:302–12. [PMID: 21205117]. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1463-1326.2010.01345.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar