Beyond the Curtains—Global Refugee Crisis and Gaps in Graduate Enrollment: Exploring Challenges and Possibilities
- 3 Downloads
Although the global refugee crisis has gained some attention in global political and social policy discourses, it has not captured similar attention in the higher education sector. This chapter examines and provides insight to the current practice and challenges faced by enrollment management leaders in reaching out and recruiting students for graduate study from war-torn regions of the world which includes Syria, Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Afghanistan, Somalia, and Sudan. The findings highlight what current practices of higher education institutions reflect about their values and leadership approaches. Using snowball sampling and semi-structured interview protocol, enrollment management personnel including administrators, staff, and faculty mentors, the chapter presents new insights on the challenges faced by institutional leaders and graduate enrollment management personnel in reaching out to students from war-torn regions is offered in this study. Then it discusses a few important strategies for accomplishing the task of reaching out to these displaced, refugee students and enrolling them in graduate studies. Our argument is that from a humanitarian and social justice perspective, universities can and should help qualified refugee and displaced students to attain access to higher education, but in order to do so, they need bolder moves and stronger visions at institutional levels that transcend political, economic and social challenges.
KeywordsHigher education Refugees Graduate enrollment Recruitment Integration
- Amirali, S., & Bakken, J. P. (2015). Trends and challenges of recruiting and retaining international graduate students: An internal perspective. Journal of Education Research, 9(4), 425–433.Google Scholar
- Bista, K., Sharma, G., & Gaulee, U. (2018). International student mobility: Examining trends and tensions. In K. Bista, (ed.), International student mobility and opportunities for growth in the global market. Hershey, PA: IGI Global Publications. https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-5225-8.ch001.
- Denzin, N., & Lincoln, Y. (Eds.). (2011). Handbook of qualitative research (4th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Felix, V. R. (2016). The experiences of refugee students in United States Postsecondary Education. PhD, Bowling Green State University. Retrieved from https://etd.ohiolink.edu/!etd.send_file?accession=bgsu1460127419&disposition=inline.
- Loo, B. (2016). Recognizing refugee qualifications: Practical tips for credential assessment. New York: World Education Services (WES). Retrieved from http://knowledge.wes.org/WES-Research-Report-Recognizing-Refugee-Credentials.html.
- Portal.unesco.org. (2019). Convention on the Recognition of Qualifications concerning Higher Education in the European Region. [online] Available at: http://portal.unesco.org/en/ev.php-URL_ID=13522&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html [Accessed 18 Dec. 2019].
- Streitwieser, B. & Taylor, M. (2016, August 19). Credentialing procedures for migrants Sseeking entrance to German higher education. International Enrollment Management Spotlight, 13(2). NAFSA: Association of International Educators.Google Scholar
- Tobenkin, D. (2006). Escape to the Ivory tower. International Educator 15(5), 42–48. Retrieved from http://www.nafsa.org/_/File/_/escape_ivory_tower.ie_2006.pdf.
- UNESCO. (2015). Education for all global monitoring report, Policy Report, June.Google Scholar
- UNHCR. (2015). November–December 2015 Monthly Educational Sectional Dashboard. Retrieved December 21, 2016, from http://data.unhcr.org/syrianrefugees/regional.php.
- Watenpaugh, Keith David and Fricke, Adrienne L. (2013) Unaccounted and unacknowledged: Syria’s refugee university students and academics in Jordan, A joint project by UC Davis Human Rights Initiative and the Institute of International Education.Google Scholar
- World Education Services (WES). (2017). Refugee Pilot Project. Retrieved from https://www.wes.org/ca/partners/refugee-pilot-project/.